Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
angelo  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 3:40:15 PM(UTC)
angelo

Groups: Registered

Washer is getting louder when agitating. Not as loud when discharging dirty water. There is oil stain on the floor and some of the parts above the motor. Opinions please thank you in advance
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kayakcrzy  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 4:29:17 PM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

Bad oil seal on the the tanny. Kick the GE out of the house, and get a Whirlpool. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
richappy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 1:24:51 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Yeh kayakrzy, people in this town just throw them out, BUT this is the old design that is very reliable and heavy duty!!
To fix, turn the washer upside down and remove the belt and sub carrier assembly with the friction pads. Then remove the tranny pulley and dig out the seal. Add 90 weight gear oil and replace the seal AP2045443.
However, if the washer was running a long time with a noisey tranny, there is some risk the tranny will seize up in spin due to bad bearings.
kayakcrzy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:25:57 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Yeh, Mr Richappy, I find most people don't have the experience to do what we can do. I also wonder what you would charge for that repair, and how many people go for it? Tom ApplianceEducator.com
richappy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:30:57 AM(UTC)
richappy

Our job here is to show the way to a repair and not assume the person is incapable of doing it.
In today's market, I would charge about $70 to do it, the washer is cetainly worth it
kayakcrzy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:45:51 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

"However, if the washer was running a long time with a noisey tranny, there is some risk the tranny will seize up in spin due to bad bearings." I quote this that you said. Don't you think, with you telling that to the customer that, it would scare them off? We here in Missouri, tend to be the show me state. So we just don,t throw stuff away either. Sometimes it smart not to throw good money, at a bad problem. Also,Its best the throw the bone at the dog. Not me. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:20:04 PM(UTC)
richappy

There is no place in this forum to tell the customer to "kick the GE out of the house".
This is the wrong thing to say, to tell a customer that the washer is not worth fixing. That is up to the customer to decide, not you.
kayakcrzy  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:49:31 PM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

You know, you need to get off your soap box, and be honest with the people. Sometimes fixing a specific product is not worth repairing . You are not going to tell me, you never tell your customer it is not worth repairing. Don't even answer, because, I don't want to hear it. I am not going to get in a pi#@%NG contest with you. Keep putting your web site on there, so maybe somebody will call you. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply