Appliance Repair Forum

Appliance Repair Forum (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/)
-   Washer Repair (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/washer-repair/)
-   -   Whirlpool washer runs but does not rotate the agitator (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/washer-repair/190547-whirlpool-washer-runs-but-does-not-rotate-agitator.html)

himash 03-20-2011 06:16 AM

Whirlpool washer runs but does not rotate the agitator

My whirlpool washer WTW5200VQ1 would not rotate the big round pipe (I believe it is the cloth mover) as well as the base (agitator).

When the washer starts, the motor runs but these two would not turn. Water also drains. Can you suggest which part may not be working and what all to replace?

Thanks in advance

sidfink43 03-21-2011 06:06 PM

If it also will not spin, check the coupling. This video will show you how.

YouTube - Washing Machine Drive Motor Coupler Replacement (part #285753A)

himash 03-24-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidfink43 (Post 384435)
If it also will not spin, check the coupling. This video will show you how.

YouTube - Washing Machine Drive Motor Coupler Replacement (part #285753A)

Hi, the link is awesome. very helpful. But looks like the problem is diff now (& amy apologies for a lonnnng response here. Just trying to explain as much possible).

I tried running the machine again today before touching internals and it suddenly stopped all together. The moter which was running before and making sounds, everything went quite.

I still think that motor is not the problem bECAUSE when I turn the Machine ON, I see a fluctuation in the light bulb in my laundry room but no sounds.

I then went ahead and opened the machine per above video and removed the motor. My question here is:

1. After pulling the motor out, the portion of coupler that remains attached to the machine's body (most probably to the gearcase assembly), can I rotate that portion by hand or will that be STIFF because it is hooked to gearcase?

2. Secondly, If alternatively, I rotate the agitator in the tub, should I see this part of the coupler assembly also move?

My assumtion is that it is jammed right now and I hope it is not the gearcase assembly. If any ideas can be suggested it will be very much helpful before I buy the gearcase.

Thanks

sidfink43 03-24-2011 05:23 PM

You should be able to turn the coupling piece attached to the transmission shaft that sticks out (don't bother to try turning the agitator). If you cannot, take out the transmission and check the clutch and brake assembly, but the flucturation in your light bulb suggest your motor or transmission is the problem.

himash 03-24-2011 05:29 PM

Thanks again. Just to be sure, is the transmission same as GearCase assembly? Just want to make sure to pick the right video... :D

sidfink43 03-24-2011 05:52 PM

Yep they are the same thing.