Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tealbingy  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2011 4:04:04 PM(UTC)
tealbingy

Groups: Registered

We have a GE washer that had a new fill valve/solenoid installed a little over two years ago. Performed fine until we took it to a rental property. Now it appears to leak at the valve, but we're not sure; we switched the machine out and brought it home to investigate - and it won't leak when hooked up to our water.

Water pressure here, about 34 lbs. We don't know the number for the rental, but the pressure is definitely higher. Can water pressure that is too high cause a fill valve (or any washer part) to leak?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:02:43 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert
Views messages in topic : 11,699

Unusual problem, but I think the cause is the high water pressure and I would start by putting some teflon tape on the connection and getting a pressure reduction valve on the incoming water.
tealbingy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:25:19 AM(UTC)
tealbingy

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Unusual problem, but I think the cause is the high water pressure and I would start by putting some teflon tape on the connection and getting a pressure reduction valve on the incoming water.

Thanks for the response! Hubby forgot that the home pressure head was replaced, so replace that 34# with 50# (which I understand is just about right for home systems). We do, however, need to get the pressure reading from the water system guy at the rental's community association office - the rental is second in line of 30 from the system's pump house, so the reading there should be pretty close to what the house has (no gauge there, alas).

I'll get back with that.
tealbingy  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 4:41:10 AM(UTC)
tealbingy

You're talking a pressure reduction valve on the line into the house, correct? Is there any such thing as a reduction valve for individual lines, like the two to the washer? House is on a slab, and we don't have much space to work with where water enters before it goes, into a wall, which is why I ask.

WatWater
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 6:38:29 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

I don't know, but unless it is impossible to get to the lines I would strongly urge you to put a PRV on the line, since you do not want to blow out a water line inside the house. Also, I would definitely use metal clad hoses on the washer and everything else.

For a short term fix you can back off pressure at the shutoff valve, but in the long term not having the shutoff valve fully open will damage it, so make it only a temporary fix.
tealbingy  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 8:33:39 AM(UTC)
tealbingy

Thanks - already had new s.s braided hoses on machine, suspected that closing shutoff partially not a good idea. Am waiting on water guy's info, or will get a gauge myself - just to make sure the issue is pressure and not something else to investigate. Very much appreciate your help!
sidfink43  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2011 9:45:03 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Ok, good and check your insurance to see if you are covered from a water line break, and if not, see if they provide a rider for the policy.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply