Discuss

Hotpoint Washer overflows and does not cycle

in

Washer Repair

. "

My top-load Hotpoint washer continues to fill and overflows. It does not switch to cycle or agitate, just keeps spewing

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » Hotpoint Washer overflows and does not cycle

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 06:06 AM

HANK4POOLS is on a distinguished road
Default Hotpoint Washer overflows and does not cycle
Brand: Hotpoint   Age: 5 - 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

My top-load Hotpoint washer continues to fill and overflows. It does not switch to cycle or agitate, just keeps spewing water. Unplugging doesn't stop it. It will switch cycles manually but continues to fill. Obviously, I turned the water off. I expect there must be a water level sensor or float switch of some kind that is not activating the cycles or closing the solenoid valve.

I am not an appliance tech as such but I DO work on spas, hot tubs, pool equipment and water features so I am familiar with the general concepts of automation but would appreciate an insider's advice. What kinds of switches, sensors am I looking for and where might I find them? I assume that I can troubleshoot by checking continuity through the switches.

Thanks
Hank

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 12-30-2008, 06:31 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

magician59 will become famous soon enough

You have a fouled water inlet valve.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 AM

montani is on a distinguished road
Default Troublehooting an over filling washer

In most washers there is a "Water Level Switch" connected to a pressure tube which is connected to an air chamber on the other end. As the washer fills, the water rising increases air pressure in the tube until a diaphragm in the pressure switch moves a contact. The contact then sends power to the timer to go to the next step. A clogged tube or a defective water level switch can cause overfilling. A pin hole in the tube or a loose connection on either end can also cause the trouble. In rare cases the openings between the washer tub and the air chamber can become plugged.

The second thing that can cause overfilling is a defective water inlet valve. To test those, the easiest method is to disconnect the power while the washer is filling. If the water stops, the valve is good. You must do this on both hot and cold fills to test both valves.

I am working on one right now that I have done all these tests on and it is still overflowing. I will let you know what I find. Mine has additional options that make it harder to troubleshoot.

UPDATE: My problem was, though I had blown through the end of the tube going to the Water Level Switch and not detected a trouble, there was a pin hole in the tube underneath the last clamp before the air chamber. I would probably never have found it if I hadn't filled the tub to totally full and was interrupted by a telephone call. When I came back I saw a small leak had occurred. When I traced the leak I saw a drop of water at a time coming from underneath the tube clamp. I changed the tube and the problem is solved.

Last edited by montani : 05-20-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Correction
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.