Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bob Dorman  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2011 8:33:04 AM(UTC)
Bob Dorman

Groups: Registered

I have extracted the agitator assembly by removing the bolt. I need direction in removing the dogs and bearing assembly the holds the upper "clothes mover" on. I need to replace the "dogs" and possibly the upper agitator. as the teeth are worn and does not engage 100% of the time. Questions: Is a special tool required? Reverse threads? Threaded at all? Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2011 7:46:19 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

This is a two piece agitator, and after you have removed it, it will pull apart. Sometimes soap and softener and gunk have made this difficult, in which case you will need to soak it in a bucket of hot water, maybe several times.

Here is a site on replacing the dogs.

YouTube - Broken Whirlpool/Kenmore Washing Machine Agitator Fix
Bob Dorman  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2011 8:41:23 AM(UTC)
Bob Dorman

Thank you for your comments, I did peruse other threads and thought I had it figured out but you substantiated my suspicions. Sure is rivited in place with old residue. That is why I thought there may be a special tool required such as a spanner wrench of sorts. Does make a lot of revolutions over the years.....thanks again.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2011 12:46:24 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Glad to help, and just tell whoever does the laundry to go easy on the soap and softener, now that you know what it does. One person I knew had to take 2 days and five changes of hot water to get the thing apart.
skiterry  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2011 6:38:20 PM(UTC)
skiterry

I have a Whirlpool model LSQ9564JQ0.

I was having the same problem with my clothes mover. However, it didn't just slip off the agitator. There are four fingers that come up from the agitator and go through the top of the cam assembly.

In my washer, it looked like they had been melted to prevent easy removal.

Faced with no other choice I got a large, 10" piece of 3/4" dowel and a large hammer and applied several impacts to the bottom of the clothes mover.

On about the fourth hammer blow three of the four fingers gave and the clothes mover came off. I was then able to put in the new cam assembly and bolt the agitator back in, and it works.

I would suggest to someone else having this problem that it might be better to take a dremel tool and cut the top off the fingers, (and part of the old cam assembly, if necessary). This would assure you had adequate fingers left, and is a lot less risky than the hammer method (although maybe not quite as satisfying:) ).
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply