Discuss

Whirlpool washer smells moldy whenever idle

in

Washer Repair

. "

I too had a terrible odor problem with my Whirlpool Duet washer. I tried wash cycles with bleach, leaving the

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » Whirlpool washer smells moldy whenever idle

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 09:15 AM

oxbow37 is on a distinguished road
Default Washer Smell

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I too had a terrible odor problem with my Whirlpool Duet washer. I tried wash cycles with bleach, leaving the door open between loads, cleaning the soap dispenser, wiping the door gasket with bleach and scrubbing the inside of the drum to no avail. I was talking to my next door neighbor and mentioned the problem with my washer. He told me that he experienced the same problem but had fixed it with a device called the Washer Fan.

It seems that all front and top load HE washers have a design flaw that allows water to remain in the drum between loads of wash. The Washer Fan attaches to the rear vent of the washer with magnets and circulates air to get rid of the mold causing humidity which causes the smell. I ordered the device, installed it (took about 1 minute) and within 4 days the smell was gone! I can't say enough about Washer Fan....you can find them online at: Home

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 06-24-2014, 07:30 AM

zjtins is on a distinguished road
Default How to prevent build up in front loader

Too much soap or softener builds up in the low water machines.
Unless your clothes have ground in dirt, and are just daily wear, then use 1/4 or less of the soap and make sure it has the HE on the bottle... do not use powdered soap, takes too long to dissolve. Also add 3 Tbsp of Borax, to the soap dispenser.

For softener I use a 1 qt vinegar bottle with 2 oz of softener the rest white vinegar. Fill your dispenser as normal. The vinegar helps get rid of any soap residue on you clothes and any vinegar smell goes away with drying.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.