Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BRSULLY  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:37:50 AM(UTC)
BRSULLY

Groups: Registered

Dear Repair Guys,

My Maytag Neptune washer is not getting to the high spin cycle, so my clothes are pretty wet when i take them out.
I had a guy that worked for American for a year or so look at it for nothing; he said that the motor and a computer board needed replaced at a cost of approx. $250 just for parts.
I talked to a local appliance repair guy who has been in the business for many years about the problem; he did not come over to look at the machine, but he thought it was usually the mother board. He guessed the mother board was around $200, less labor.
Are either of therse guys right, or are they both wrong? The machine still runs fine, so I've been dragging my feet on fixing it, but my better half is starting to lose patience.
Can you help my marriage?
Thanks alot in advance,
BRSULLY:)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:16:16 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

It can either be the main board, or the motor/motor control which Maytag upgraded and now sells as a single unit.

Unfortunately, about the only way to fix this is to replace the parts and see if that works. I would start with the main control board. If you order from this site and the part does not fix the problem you can return it, see the returns policy for conditions and details.
BRSULLY  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:54:15 AM(UTC)
BRSULLY

Dear Sidfink43,

Many thanks on your very quick response! This is the first time I've visited your site. I ordered a part for my dad's oven last Saturday. It shipped Monday and he got it Tuesday!! He saved well over $200 by buying the part through Appliance Parts Pros and fixing it himself!
After ordering the part for him, I thought I'd seek advice on my washing machine problem. I couldn't believe how quickly you returned an answer!!

Anyway, outstanding job on both accounts! I'm going to see how much the part(s) for my washing machine cost now. Keep up the good work!

Many thanks,
BRSULLY
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 12:32:34 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well you are certainly welcome and thanks for the kind words. Those of us who post on this Forum are volunteers and not associated with APP. We do so to help folks and because APP gives such great service and parts prices.

Good luck with your Neptune, let us know how things turn out. This has been a very troubled model and you have been fortunate to get good use from it.
murderurfriends  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 9:38:22 AM(UTC)
murderurfriends

Now very possible it could be this problem there's many other problems that can be causeing this and we should be making proper checks before throwing parts at this machine in a trial and effert to see what works and what doesn't. First thing make sure there's proper voltage at the outlet next checl the main board for any burnt up resistor. If resistor r11 is burnt up the wax motor door in the door lock MUST be replaced as well if those are good you chould be checking the operation of the wax motor and be sure it is contacting the spin and enable switch. You should have 120v on each side and 0v across. Next you should be making sure none of the off balance switches have been triggered best way to do this is open the case of the machine and behind the dispensor there is 2 pretty big blue wires I wanna say like 12g you should ohm this out and get a reading if this is opened you have found your problem and it must look further into it if its a bad intertia switch just jump it out but if its a bad side off balance or bottom off balance switch it must be replaced....cheers hope this helps!
BRSULLY  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:41:24 AM(UTC)
BRSULLY

Dear Repair team,

I went to the local appliance store I had mentioned in previous post. The repair guy there had a used motherboard he had taken out of a Neptune. He said I could try it, and if it didn't fix problem, return it. He also made mention of resistor R11. I checked my old board; R11 looked good.
Anyway, board was not the problem. Machine runs great until that very final high speed spin where it gets rid of most of the water.

Thanks to murderurfriends for your input. Advice looked great, but may be above my capability. I'm starting to wonder if I should throw any more time and/or money at this machine. Especially based on it's reputation. My local repair guy, who usually will offer something for used appliances, said that they won't even take them for nothing. They won't even try to sell them, based on all the troubles they've seen; not good for their business and reputation.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks again,
BRSULLY
sidfink43  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 11:16:14 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well if you have gotten 10+ years out of this model you have won the equivalent of the Maytag Lottery jackpot.

If you want to keep it I would try the motor/motor control conversion kit, but if it were me I would take the money you expected to spend on parts and use it towards a new machine.

Good luck, sorry the board did not work out for you.
murderurfriends  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:49:50 PM(UTC)
murderurfriends

Yea if it's not that then most likely is even bad inertia switch or off balance switch. There's 2 off balance one on the very bottom and one one the left side of the tub and the inertia switch is next to that side off balance. If possible om out the wires there 2 big blue wires and a connector if it's open check each switch separate to determin
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply