Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
schlescw  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:58:52 AM(UTC)
schlescw

Groups: Registered

Washer (top loader) timer failed on this unit. Replaced the timer and it cycles fine, however it doesnt get the clothes wrung out very well. Upon watching the cycle run, it appears that the washer drains the water from the tub, and spins, but doesn't go into the high spin during the rinse cycle. Is there another controller or a clutch that could have failed? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:28:37 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: schlescw Go to Quoted Post
Washer (top loader) timer failed on this unit. Replaced the timer and it cycles fine, however it doesnt get the clothes wrung out very well. Upon watching the cycle run, it appears that the washer drains the water from the tub, and spins, but doesn't go into the high spin during the rinse cycle. Is there another controller or a clutch that could have failed? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!

Yes, there is a clutch system, and it is probably slipping

Part number: AP3094537

But first check and make sure, there are no small articles stuck between the tubs(use a flashlight and see if you can observe something there looking through the tub drain perforations.

Here's a post from our repair forum that should assist you.

http://forum.appliancepartspros...-washer-brake-shoes.html

:) :) :)
schlescw  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 20, 2011 12:09:46 PM(UTC)
schlescw

Got elbow deep in the guts today. Removed the cabinet and inspected the coupling. The hard rubber grommet is in near perfect shape and the plastic couplings are intact. Also removed them to inspect for rounding out at the shafts. Everything looks near new.

Re-installed the motor, engaged the spin cycle and shorted the lid switch at the connector. The clutch spins when the motor is engaged in spin. Dropped the transmission out, inspected the mechanism for the brake operation. The brakes release upon hand turning the mechanism. All springs feel tight and in place. With the transmission dropped, all the parts spin freely. The two teeth on the nylon part of the clutch are intact...nothing appears broken or out of place.

Inspected the drum by shining a light through from the inside and could not locate any visible items. Re-assembled everything and had a bit of difficulty getting the transmission housing into place. Really, I had to pretty much slam it into place to even get it to the point where the bolts would catch thread. Upon engaging a spin cycle again, I could hear a very light grinding noise from the tub. I have read about a lint screen at the bottom of the drum that could cause issues. I guess possibly there could be debris underneath that could be causing friction.

I did observe some oil on the motor mounting plate when I removed it and also observed oil sprayed on the discharge hose.

Guess the next step is to purchase a spanner wrench (of the hundreds of tools I have, this is not one) and pull the inner drum to look for something dragging that isn't visible.

Other than what I have investigated, could you offer any other suggestions? Or let me know if I am on the right track. I think I've eliminated a lot so far.

One further question. I observed two small plastic cups mounted on the frame under the tub. Both of these had an alloy pin in them and about a centimeter of oil in them. What purpose do these serve?

Thank you for all the guidance so far!!!!
richappy  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 3:21:16 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Looked at the Sears site, your basket has no comb filter under it. You probably have bad brake shoes that wore out the clutch. You can confirm by doing the tranny coupler test in my sticky "replacing direct drive washer brake shoes".
Replacing only the clutch as suggested above will not fix your brake shoes and will fail after some use.
schlescw  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:21:54 AM(UTC)
schlescw

Thanks for the information. I guess I'm replacing the brake shoes and the clutch. For purposes of troubleshooting, I have a question. I noticed in the post regarding replacing the brake shoes, that there was mention of using WD-40 as a temporary, but definitely non-permanent fix. I still intend to replace the shoes and clutch, but if I sprayed a lubricant on the current shoes should it free up the slow spin? Just trying to learn different ways to investigate these problems. Thanks for all the assistance. Going to order the parts right now!!!
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:54:26 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thanks for the information. I guess I'm replacing the brake shoes and the clutch. For purposes of troubleshooting, I have a question. I noticed in the post regarding replacing the brake shoes, that there was mention of using WD-40 as a temporary, but definitely non-permanent fix. I still intend to replace the shoes and clutch, but if I sprayed a lubricant on the current shoes should it free up the slow spin? Just trying to learn different ways to investigate these problems. Thanks for all the assistance. Going to order the parts right now!!!

I have never done that type repair, we were informed about it many years ago.

As I understood it, it'll keep you going for a while, but it's as you said, "a temporary repair".

The basic premise, the WD40, causes the pads to expand and grip better/ properly, and it loosens/cleans the mechanical parts to improve operation, but after some time, things dry out and your problem returns.

Good Luck,

:cool: :cool: :cool:
schlescw  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:12:38 AM(UTC)
schlescw

Thanks...I'm still going with the replacement as you suggested. I was just looking for something that could be a quick trouble shoot for diagnosis. I have searched the site and cannot find just the brake shoes, only an assembly for a little over $100. Are the shoes sold separately or does the whole assembly need to be purchased? Thank you for all the knowledge you have shared!!!!
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:10:09 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thanks...I'm still going with the replacement as you suggested. I was just looking for something that could be a quick trouble shoot for diagnosis. I have searched the site and cannot find just the brake shoes, only an assembly for a little over $100. Are the shoes sold separately or does the whole assembly need to be purchased? Thank you for all the knowledge you have shared!!!!

Schlescw,

Both parts are available, and can be purchased as individual parts.

(see below)

(you just cut your cost for parts in 1/2)

:cool: :cool: :cool:

schlescw  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 12:31:17 PM(UTC)
schlescw

Replaced brake shoes and clutch. No problems!!! Washer operates perfectly! Many thanks for the expertise and experience shared.
Joe / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 8:13:14 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Replaced brake shoes and clutch. No problems!!! Washer operates perfectly! Many thanks for the expertise and experience shared.

Great job,

We're glad we could help.

Great to know you're up and running

It's our pleasure to assist you.

:D :D :D
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply