Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
msaeger  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 6:49:18 PM(UTC)
msaeger

Groups: Registered

So the pulley on the motor got ground in half. I am guessing it was the belt slipping ate through it because I can turn the drum and pump by hand easily so I don't thing something is bound up.

The motor also operates so I think that it is ok too.

So I want to try and just replace the pulley and the belt. Part Details - WHIRLPOOL Pully/motor, part number: AP4024152

Can anyone tell me how hard it is to get the pulley off ? I tried prying the plastic clips out but it doesn't slide off so I am thinking it's pressed on there ?

Any help would be great 5 buck for a pulley vs 130 for a motor would be great.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:25:50 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

This is a fairly common problem with these motors and pulleys. Theh pulley is fiber glass and it just disintergrates.

Maytag has pressed the pulley onto the shaft. You will need a gear puller with at least a 3" spread to get it off.

Getting the new one on is a bit of a procedure.

1. Take the cover off of the rear of the shaft and use a socket to "backup" the shaft so it does not move when you have to tap the new pulley on.

2. With the hub fingers on the pulley out, position the pulley on the motor shaft and push until the spine meshes with the pulley

3. Gently, and I do mean gently, use a 1/2" deep socket to tap the pulley onto the shaft.

Replace the cover and you should be all set. I don't know why Maytag made it this hard, they just did.
msaeger  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:44:03 PM(UTC)
msaeger

Thanks for the great info ! Are you totally removing the motor when doing this ?

Yeah it's odd that they used a metal pulley on the pump and a fiberglass one on the motor.

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
This is a fairly common problem with these motors and pulleys. Theh pulley is fiber glass and it just disintergrates.

Maytag has pressed the pulley onto the shaft. You will need a gear puller with at least a 3" spread to get it off.

Getting the new one on is a bit of a procedure.

1. Take the cover off of the rear of the shaft and use a socket to "backup" the shaft so it does not move when you have to tap the new pulley on.

2. With the hub fingers on the pulley out, position the pulley on the motor shaft and push until the spine meshes with the pulley

3. Gently, and I do mean gently, use a 1/2" deep socket to tap the pulley onto the shaft.

Replace the cover and you should be all set. I don't know why Maytag made it this hard, they just did.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:27:53 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Yes, take the motor off, secure it in a manner that will not damage it and take a lot of care with this. The motor comes out pretty easily.
msaeger  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:11:23 PM(UTC)
msaeger

Got it fixed thanks for the help !

I cut the pulley in half with a Dremel to get it off and tapped the new one on with a socket like suggested.

There isn't much for a tensioner I would guess that's why these things are failing.

Next time I hear the belt squeaking I will get a new one right away.
msaeger attached the following image(s):
IMG_1224.JPG
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:30:32 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well neat, nice going and glad you got it to work and saved all that money from not having to buy a motor.
msaeger  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:39:40 PM(UTC)
msaeger

This happened again! This time it was not as catastrophic but I still need to replace the belt and pulley again. I didn't even get any squealing this time. The drum just stopped turning and after getting the water out and looking at the bottom of the washer I can see the pulley is badly worn. This time I think I need to come up with a better tensioner than what they are using.

At least this time I caught it before the belt disintegrated so there's not a big mess to clean up like last time.
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 4:09:15 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

This appears to have been a design flaw with these models, glad you can repair it and keep it going.
msaeger  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 4:48:24 PM(UTC)
msaeger

Today I replaced the belt and pulley and discovered a new problem. The drum will only spin one direction if I try to turn it the other direction using the pulley on the drum it's froze.

Sorry for not knowing the proper terms here but it will turn the direction it goes when doing the spin cycle. So if I run a full cycle it does the fill then when it trys to do the wash I could just hear the motor hum. If I set it to the spin cycle it runs normally and drains the tub.

I took the belt off and am able to spin the drum one way but it's locked the other way.

Any help troubleshooting would be great.
sidfink43  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 4:54:48 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

I am guessing there is something jammed in the transmission in which case given the age of the machine I think it is time to think replacement. You probably got much more than average life from this model, so it don't owe you anything.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply