Appliance Repair Forum

Appliance Repair Forum (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/)
-   Washer Repair (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/washer-repair/)
-   -   Loud knocking noise when washer is agitating mode (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/washer-repair/171896-loud-knocking-noise-when-washer-agitating-mode.html)

bobbapa 02-11-2011 07:43 PM

Loud knocking noise when washer is agitating mode

My washer makes a loud knocking noise when in the agitating mode. Spin and drain cycle are OK. I have replaced the belt twice due to squeeking in agitating mode only. Anyone know what I should be looking for? I have checked the level and it is perfect.:confused:

applianceman 02-11-2011 10:10 PM

There are two things that commonly cause this washer to be noisy.

One is that the sifter coil has failed. The sifter is what amounts to a large solenoid that engages or should I say disengages a gear. When the sifter coil is activated it disengages a gear that allows the agitator to move separately from the spin basket. When the sifter coil is not activated the agitator and the spin basket will be locked together. When the sifter fails the spin basket will turn during agitation mode. When this happens you will hear a knocking noise each time the motor changes directions because the brackets will hit from the force of a full tub of water rotating back and forth.

The other is the sagging apron issue. This will typically cause a squealing noise. These two problems often go hand and hand because when the sifter fails there is a tremendous amount of stress put on the machine. Donít get me wrong the sagging apron issue on some models will happen no matter what due to a manufacture defect but the sifter problem will make this a problem sooner rather than later. To see if you have the sagging apron issue set the washer to full water level, remove the front of the washer and start a cycle. Once agitation starts look under the motor and see if the motor bracket is hitting the bottom of the washer causing a squealing noise.

This page talks about the sagging apron issue and also how to test the sifter coil GE HydroWave Noisy Washer Repair Guide

dentum2 06-19-2011 01:19 PM

whrilpool knocking noise during agitation

I have read a reply about a sifter coil casusing a knocking noise only during agitation. My washer is a whrilpool Model LSQ9210HQ0. I can not find anything called a sifter coil. Can someone send me the information on this sifter coil?
Thanks, Dennis

applianceman 06-20-2011 06:28 AM

The reply was for a GE model. Your model doesnít have a sifter coil. Post a new thread with your model number and problem.

debbieshellsea@yahoo.com 02-09-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applianceman (Post 350970)
There are two things that commonly cause this washer to be noisy.

One is that the sifter coil has failed. The sifter is what amounts to a large solenoid that engages or should I say disengages a gear. When the sifter coil is activated it disengages a gear that allows the agitator to move separately from the spin basket. When the sifter coil is not activated the agitator and the spin basket will be locked together. When the sifter fails the spin basket will turn during agitation mode. When this happens you will hear a knocking noise each time the motor changes directions because the brackets will hit from the force of a full tub of water rotating back and forth.

The other is the sagging apron issue. This will typically cause a squealing noise. These two problems often go hand and hand because when the sifter fails there is a tremendous amount of stress put on the machine. Donít get me wrong the sagging apron issue on some models will happen no matter what due to a manufacture defect but the sifter problem will make this a problem sooner rather than later. To see if you have the sagging apron issue set the washer to full water level, remove the front of the washer and start a cycle. Once agitation starts look under the motor and see if the motor bracket is hitting the bottom of the washer causing a squealing noise.

This page talks about the sagging apron issue and also how to test the sifter coil GE HydroWave Noisy Washer Repair Guide

It happens all the time upon agitation and spinning to drain, it is not a squealing noise