Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hartzboys  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:50:31 AM(UTC)
hartzboys

Groups: Registered

My Whirlpool Washing Machine Model # LSQ9549LW0 won't spin. Fills with water and drains, just doesn't spin. The research I've done says that I need part # AP3963893 Motor coupling for direct drive washers. What I am wondering, is how do I know if I have a direct drive washer? Also, my husband and I are not handy at all, how realistic is it for us to even attempt this repair on our own. I see the price of the part is only $10 so if we could save on labor that would be helpful, but if we are just going to make matters worse than I'd rather leave it to the pros. Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:03:33 PM(UTC)
applianceman

This is a direct drive washer and the coupling is the most likely cause. If you know the correct procedure this is one of the easiest appliance repairs out there. The two mistakes I see people make is they try to remove the back of the washer (never do that on this model) or they try to replace the coupling from the bottom, which I imagine is difficult.

The correct way to replace the coupling is to remove the case of the washer then the pump then the motor. Once the motor is off you can access and replace the coupling. This page has pictures and videos that will help

Whirlpool Washer Disassembly Guide
howie douglas  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 9:44:57 AM(UTC)
howie douglas

Washers often have problem, GE, LG or Electrolux all have problems. I have some information here to fix a Whirlpool Whirlpool Dryer Parts Repair Tips | Whirlpool Dryer Troubleshooting | FAQ But if you can't deal with it, just have somebody repaired it. I never fix machines myself, just make everything a mess. Good luck. :cool:
hartzboys  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:24:08 AM(UTC)
hartzboys

Thank you for your reply! I bought the new motor coupling and replaced the part with little effort and the washing machine was spinning again! BUT, after doing about 5 loads it is once again not spinning. Was thinking of pulling the machine apart again to make sure I tightened everything right and put it all back together right, or is it time to call in the experts?
applianceman  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:14:25 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Is the coupling broken agian? If so you might want to read the sticky on brake shoes because they can cause the coupling to break.
hartzboys  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:58:46 PM(UTC)
hartzboys

Thank you for your reply, just wondering what do you mean by read the sticky on the brake shoes? Would this mean replacing brake shoes, if so this easy or better to call in a professional? And how do I know if the motor coupling is broken other than it won't spin. When we removed the old one it didn't appear to be physically broken, in pieces so to speak. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
applianceman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:31:55 AM(UTC)
applianceman

I am sorry what I was talking about was reading this post about how the brakes can cause the coupling to fail, assuming the coupling is bad agian.

http://forum.appliancepartspros...-washer-brake-shoes.html

It is not a very hard job to replace the brakes however you do need a spanner wrench.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply