Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kleenhippie  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2011 1:35:06 PM(UTC)
Kleenhippie

Groups: Registered

Our Maytag Atlantis has quit agitating in the wash cycle, it fills, spins and drains fine though. It will agitate a bit if I apply pressure to the top of the agitator while in the wash cycle. (While bypassing the lid switch) We have also had a problem with violent vibration (big thumping at times) while spinning to where it walks across the floor as far as the hoses will let it. I thought it was just unbalanced loads as the wife just dumps everything in without regard to balancing the load. It didn't do it until the last year or so that I've noticed. Now that I've read a few post about vibration in spin cycle, I'm not so sure...
Any help or advice would be most helpful and appreciated. :cool:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Kleenhippie  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2011 10:54:04 AM(UTC)
Kleenhippie

I took off the front and cleaned it out, I checked the springs for the vibration problem but they seem all right. I was looking at the parts page for the machine and it has a thrust bearing. It had been making a heck of a noise while spinning that sounded like it could have been a bad bearing so that makes me wonder if it would have anything to do with it not agitating. Any help or advice would be most appreciated as I've been out of work for four months now and can't afford to replace the machine.
Kleenhippie  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2011 6:49:18 PM(UTC)
Kleenhippie

Wife is gonna kill me if I don't fix this poor thing...
richappy  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 1:36:20 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If you see a lot of white plastic shavings near the pulley at the bottom of the washer, you have a bad snubber. You can go to my article ( replacing Maytag Performa washer snubber replacement) for info on this. Just put it in the search box. I think on the Atlantis, you have to pull off the brake housing to get the new snubber in.
Kleenhippie  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:57:55 AM(UTC)
Kleenhippie

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
If you see a lot of white plastic shavings near the pulley at the bottom of the washer, you have a bad snubber. You can go to my article ( replacing Maytag Performa washer snubber replacement) for info on this. Just put it in the search box. I think on the Atlantis, you have to pull off the brake housing to get the new snubber in.

Thank you, I'll be looking at that today. You don't think that it's the trans or anything else?
richappy  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 7:09:05 AM(UTC)
richappy

From a previous post, the worn snubber will cause the internal tranny clutch to slip if the snubber wears too much.
Kleenhippie  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 18, 2011 8:40:38 AM(UTC)
Kleenhippie

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
From a previous post, the worn snubber will cause the internal tranny clutch to slip if the snubber wears too much.

This is the first chance I've had to get to the machine, I wish I could afford to just buy a new one. Anyway, I see no plastic shavings under the machine where the belt pulleys are exposed. Am I looking in the right place? I did go ahead and order a snubber though. But wouldn't I also have to replace seals etc. that I may have to remove to get to it?
I've also checked the belt and it has a real thick, hard to wash off your hands coating on it. Somehow the watersoftener sitting next to and behind the machine has started leaking and there is a small river of water running diagonally under the washer on it's way to the floor drain which is a few inches inside of the washers footprint. I am almost ready to believe that it is the belt causing the problem of it not agitating... Seems like once the brake comes on to lock the tub it would put more strain on the belt? Or am I just hoping? (I'd like to be able to replace the belt...)
Kleenhippie  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 18, 2011 10:27:11 AM(UTC)
Kleenhippie

Ok, cleaned all the gunk off of the belt and pulleys but still won't agitate. It tries to agitate maybe two or three arcs back and forth with a grinding noise. And to me that can't be good. I had forgotten to say something about the grinding noise in my earlier posts... Sorry.... Too much on my mind...
Kleenhippie  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 19, 2011 11:02:24 AM(UTC)
Kleenhippie

Originally Posted by: 123laundry Go to Quoted Post

Also it could be a bearing noise, however if there is evidence of oil under the drum it could also be transmission issue.

I think I found oil underneath. Pretty much shot then, huh?
richappy  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:49:01 PM(UTC)
richappy

If you remove the belts and turn the transmission pulley one way for spin, the other way for agitate, if you feel any roughness in agitate direction, you have a bad transmission.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply