Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David55  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:16:41 PM(UTC)
David55

Groups: Registered

My washer is about 25 years old and just recently I smelled burnt rubber. When it happened, it was probably overloaded with cloths and in the middle of the spin cycle. Both the agitator belt and the pump belt are not frayed, cracked or broken however they have a lot of slack on them. At first I thought the slack caused too much friction on the pulleys which lead to the overheating and odor. Then I ran a small load of cloths and had the same odor. The machine completed the whole wash and spin cycle fine. I don't know how tight a new belt should be and I know the motor provides the belt tension but before I purchase new belts, I was wondering if anyone knew what else could cause this odor.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kayakcrzy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 5:08:56 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

Sometimes on that model, the lower bearing could be begining to seize up, or the brake package, could be draging. I would pull the washer away from the wall, and then lean it back, and rest it on the back wall. Then takr the belt of that goes to the pump to the motor. No grab the pump pully, and see if it spins pretty smooth. If so look up, and you will see the pump is held in place by three 5/16s screws. If the adjustment is not been made you would be able to loosen those screws up, and push the pump all the way over to the right, and that would make the belts a little tighter. It is worth a try. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
David55  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:36:57 PM(UTC)
David55

Thanks for the quick response. I can see that the pump only has about 0.125" more adjustment to make the belt tighter but don't think that will do much. The motor and pump pulleys spin quite freely so I don't think that's the problem. Also the big main pulley under the agitator can be moved, if that indicates anything. What did you mean by the "lower bearing"? Exactly where is that located? Where is the brake located? I have part diagrams but not sure where to look.

Thanks again.
kayakcrzy  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 21, 2011 3:12:07 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

The brake is the big pully, in the center, and you really can't see the bearing. If you take the front off, and look under the tub, tight in the center, you will see a black rubber boot, the bearing is in the center of it, and it slides down the center of the tranny. If I were you, I would replace the belts first. Because if you are going to replace the bearing kit, you will need to replace the tub seal kit too. So, it short, pop the belts on. You have the best washer ever made, so stay with it. Tom X-Maytag man!!!! Appliance Educator, Appliance Parts, Washer and Dryer Parts, Refridgerator and Freezer Parts, Stove and Oven Parts
maytagw  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2012 8:45:35 AM(UTC)
maytagw

Hi, I am having the same problem with my maytag washer about 20 or so years old. it started to smell in the rince cylcle but still operated and drained. I did what your advice was to prop up against a wall and look under the washer. It has a thick oil like mess that has spun all over the sides and is really messy. The belts look really good and will move smoothly on the track. What does this sound like to you?
bggunnz  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2015 5:54:58 PM(UTC)
bggunnz

Hey everyone,

Just installed a new brake in the maytag and now I'm getting some smoke from underneath.

I am assuming that everything went back into place. Belts seem to be fine. is it possible that I tightened the break too much?

there seems to be a rubber residue on the motor Pully in the upper position if that makes any sense. I use the old bearings so therefore I did not add any extra grease when I did the brake install.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply