Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jelmo99  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 11:18:03 PM(UTC)
Jelmo99

Groups: Registered

This is a problem we have had a couple times before. First time we had a difficult time removing the agitator coupling on the transmission shaft. The second time it came off with the agitator removal.

This time it wont budge at all. My hubby has even taken a hack saw to it. Please help... there has to be an easier way. We have yanked it, hit it with a screwdriver and hammer upward, and like I said attempted to saw it off. It seems that the inner "grips" = treads are welded together somehow and not letting it come off.

I have been without my washer for almost 4 days now and clothes piling up. Can anyone please help???
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jelmo99  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 11:32:21 PM(UTC)
Jelmo99

Sorry forgot to mention that the bolt that is supposed to hold it in place is nonexistent. It must have been stripped a long time ago so that isnt the reason it wont come off.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 12:59:05 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would take a sharp wood chisel to it, just crack the coupler near the screw hole, should then come off. You can seal the new one on with silicone cement, but you will need to clean the shaft first or the new couplem might crack when you try to put it on.
Jelmo99  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:34:08 PM(UTC)
Jelmo99

I have taken a chisel to it, and tried banging upward, Im afraid that hubby might have damaged the inner splines on the transmission by doing this. I will keep trying, and if we use silicone on the new one... Lord knows how we will get that one off when needed. This seems to be an every 6 month ordeal. Found online a "agitator spline remover tool" but no one has one, they have been discontinued or only the repair men are allowed to have one. AGGGHHH
richappy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:14:40 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You pound down on the plastic coupler to crack it and separate it from the spline. Good luck.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply