Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ejciii  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 9:01:43 PM(UTC)
ejciii

Groups: Registered

I just replaced both the coupling and the clutch assembly on the washer. Everything works correctly except that just as the spin cycle begins there is a clacking noise which stops as soon as the machine gets up to proper speed. When I re-inserted the agitator shaft and motor everything seemed to align perfectly, the motor set perfectly, and the bolts aligned fine. Should I take it apart and re-assemble it or might it "work in" and stop making the noise?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:43:20 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You may have failed to put the clutch retainer spring clamp in, a thin, half round item.
ejciii  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:40:14 AM(UTC)
ejciii

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
You may have failed to put the clutch retainer spring clamp in, a thin, half round item.

I was careful to put back everything I took out...the parts package had a new clutch retainer spring but I had to use the old retainer clip that holds on the hub cover. The retainer spring has one end bent so it goes into a hole on the clutch and then clips under the 4 "ears" around the center of the clutch correct? The machine works correctly (I ran a short cycle) and the "clacking" noise is only there when the spin cycle first begins. After the spin get up to speed it goes away. The shaft and motor housing went back together very smoothly and set right in properly to where the bolts hold the assembly on. Should I just open it up again and check things again? Thanks for your help.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:06:06 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You might have put the brake shoes in wrong, or if you removed the spin basket, your drive block nut may be loose. If everything ok, I would pull the tranny out again and look for something loose.
ejciii  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 11, 2011 6:26:27 PM(UTC)
ejciii

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
You might have put the brake shoes in wrong, or if you removed the spin basket, your drive block nut may be loose. If everything ok, I would pull the tranny out again and look for something loose.

Thanks Rich, I'll update the thread when I find out what's up. I'm thinking that I may have put the clutch support ring on after I put the thrust washer on (not sure that's possible)...we'll see. Thanks again for your help.

By the way, the brake shoes were already installed in the clutch assembly and I did not remove the spin basket (I don't have a span wrench so I didn't try to take the basket out).

Thanks again. I'll update after I pull the tranny again.
ejciii  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:04:26 AM(UTC)
ejciii

Richappy, et al.,
I pulled the tranny again after repairing the coupling & clutch assembly last week. Evidently I had not positioned the clutch spring opposite the brake cam despite the fact that the assembly seated properly the first time. I re-positioned the brake cam opposite the clutch spring, re-assembled the tranny and everything works great now. Thanks for all your help. Here is a link to an excellent video walking through the process:

YouTube - Washing Machine Clutch Replacement (part #285785)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply