Discuss

Loud Noise During Spinning Cycle

in

Washer Repair

. "

Whirlpool duet GHW9150PWD, 6 yeasr old. Today, a very loud noise appeared during the spinning cycle. The noise occurs only

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » Loud Noise During Spinning Cycle

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 02:31 PM

Francisco Davila is on a distinguished road
Angry Loud Noise During Spinning Cycle
Model Number: Duet GHW9150PWD   Brand: Whirlpool   Age: Less than 1 year   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Whirlpool duet GHW9150PWD, 6 yeasr old. Today, a very loud noise appeared during the spinning cycle. The noise occurs only during high speed spin and only when the washer is loaded (no noise if spinning empty). Noticed shredded plastic under the boot, near the drain in the cavity between the tub and the exterior frame. I carefully inspected the interior for foreign objects and found nothing strange. On further inspection y noticed that the plastic is coming from the front edge of the tub. When I turn the basket, it appers to be excentric of the tub (the clearance around the perimeter is not uniform). Hoverwer there is no play on the basket bearing and the basket seem to be firmly in place.

I suspect a alignemtn/balancing probem. Does the edge on the tub front edge serve the purpose of a friction bearing? What part should I have on hand to attempt a repair?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Related Models
Whirlpool DUL100PKB0 DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL100PKQ0 DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL140PPB0 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL140PPB1 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL140PPB2 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL140PPQ0 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL140PPQ1 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL140PPQ2 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL140PPS0 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL140PPS1 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL140PPS2 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL140PPT0 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL140PPT1 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL140PPT2 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL200PKB0 DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL200PKB1 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL200PKQ0 DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL200PKQ1 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL200PKS1 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL200PKT0 DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL200PKT1 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPB0 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPB1 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPB3 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPB6 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPB7 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPB9 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPBA UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPQ0 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPQ1 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPQ3 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPQ6 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPQ7 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPQ9 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPQA UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPS0 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPS1 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPS3 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPS6 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPS7 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPS9 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPSA UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPT0 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPT1 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPT3 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPT6 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPT7 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPT9 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL240XTPTA UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XLTQ0 
Whirlpool DUL300XLTS0 
Whirlpool DUL300XLTT0 
Whirlpool DUL300XTKB0 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTKQ0 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTKS0 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTKT0 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTLB0 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTLB1 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTLB2 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTLB3 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTLQ0 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTLQ1 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTLQ2 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTLQ3 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTLS0 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTLS1 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTLS2 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTLT0 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTLT1 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTLT2 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
Whirlpool DUL300XTLT3 UNDERCOUNTER DISHWASHER
 DUORSRKIT ELECTROLUX/TRIM KIT
Amana DUP202-19OR DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUP204-19OR DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUP206-19OR DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20219OK DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR2021WOL DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR2021WOL DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20319-CL DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20319-OS DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20319CK DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20319CL DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20319OK DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20319OL DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20419-OS DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20419CK DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20419CL DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20419OK DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20419OL DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20519-OS DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20519CK DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20519OK DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20519OL DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20819-OS DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20819CK DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20819CL DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20819OK DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUR20819OL DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS-114-19 DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS-202-1W DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS-203-19 DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS-204-19 DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS-205-19 DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS-208-19 DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS-401-19 DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS-401-1W DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS-402-19 DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS-404-19 DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS-405-19 DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS-406-19 DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS-407-19 DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS-409-19 DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS-416-1W DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS104-19 DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
 DUS200W DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS202-1A DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS202-1C DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS202-1H DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS202-1L DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
Amana DUS202-1W DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 01-09-2011, 06:30 AM

Francisco Davila is on a distinguished road
Default Follow up on Whirlpool Duet Noise during Spinning

The mystery is resolved. I removed and dissassembled the tub to inspect the basket. I found the rear part of the basket severely corroded and cracked. The cracks and corrosion were not inmediately visible as the part was covered in scum. See the pictures I have attached after cleanup. The damaged part supports and connects the basket to the drive pulley; when cracked it can not longer keep the basket centered; I guess y was lucky that I stoped the washer before the basket detached from the shaft.

The basket and the bracket are listed as one part in Whirlpool literature The original part number is 8182232 has been superseeded with W10250573 (this must be a known problem to Whirlpool). The washer is supposed to have a lifetime warranty for the stainless steel basket; I will pursue this with whirlpool on Monday. Does any one there have a similar problem? Is it possible to buy just the damaged bracket and keep the basket portion?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duet - Cracked Basket 7.jpg (97.4 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg Duet - Cracked Basket 2.jpg (80.4 KB, 368 views)
Old 01-21-2011, 08:20 AM

jeffsh is on a distinguished road
Default Same symtoms

I have the same symtoms with a model GHW9100LW1. I purchased a new tub front and replaced it without taking the entire unit out so I did not see the back of the steel tub. But after I put it back together I noticed that it did not stay centered when spun by hand. However everything seems tight so I was thinking the shaft is bent, but, may be the same problem you are have.

I would be interested in hearing what you find out from Whirlpool. In the meantime I guess I will tear mine down completely.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:52 PM

ANTHONYP is on a distinguished road
Post Defective Fingers

The Whirlpool Drum Is Covered For 10yrs. Had The Same Problem Call Whirlpool They Will Fed Ex You New Stainless Drum And Shaft. May Need To Replace Outer Half Of Drum Case And A New Seal. If I Were You I Send The New Shaft Out And Get It Anodized. It Makes It 3 Times The Aluminum, And Will Not Corrode
Old 02-08-2011, 06:00 AM

jeffsh is on a distinguished road

Can I replace the basket myself or do I have to have an authorized repair service do it in order to get the drum replaced for free under the lifetime warranty. It is my understanding Whirlpool will only send the basket at no charge if requested by an authorized repair service.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:04 AM

As I Remember, There Were Two Options, One Was To Send You The Basket Assembly And Shaft,and It Would Take The Unit Out Of Warrantee If You Performed The Repair. The Other Was To Get It Done By Auth Repair Man And Keep The Warrantee. At This Point Half The Machine Will Be Replaced And I Guess Your Machine Is At Least 4 Yrs Old, So Who Needs There Warrantee At This Point In The Life Of The Machine. I Think In 4 Yrs The Basket Will Go Again Do To Bad Design Of Steel Shaft Being Held By Aluminum Fingers. Every Machine They Make Has The Same Design Flaw. Maytag Has The Same Basket And Sells The Fingers That Attach To The Drum As A Seperate Part . We Should But Together A Class Action Suit.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:48 AM

tbl is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Whirlpool Duet Washer--Total lack of customer service

Our whirlpool duet washer is 2 1/2 years old and needs an entire new tub bearing and outer tub. It would cost more to repair than to replace. This is an issue all over sites like this. And our repairman says it's a problem he's seeing frequently. The fact that whirlpool customer service--even supervisors--read their canned response-- "there is no financial assistance after one year" rather than even considering any solution to help customers--is ridiculous. No wonder they changed their warranty for parts for just one year. I will NEVER buy another whirlpool product and you should not either. It's terrible!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:51 AM

I Took My Apart A Fixed It Last Year, Its Definitly A Factory Design Flaw To But Aluminum Fingers That Hold And All Stanless Steel Drum Makes No Sense, The Aluminum Breaks Down Due To Corrosiveness In Water And Soap, Makes Fingers Holding Drum Brittle And Adventually Fails, Thats Why You Get Banging Noise , Someone Should Get And Attorney File Class Action Suit Product Liability Claim. But Don't Forget They Give 10 Year Warrantee On The Drum And Shaft ,so Call The Comany They Will Send The New Drum , But It Will Take Service Man 2-3 Hours To Fix, Again May Be Better Replace The Unit
Old 02-08-2012, 01:39 PM

tbunder is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem, ungodly noises upon spin cycle. I researched for hours and figured out that if I had the parts I could fix it myself thanks to the youtube video. Mine was so bad that the SS tub was cutting into the plastic wash tub. It would eventually start leaking. So what to do? I did not want to have any service guys come to my house as I hate service companies and I feel as a past cable tv technician I could probably figure it out as I love to take things apart and figure out how they work.
But wait, there had to be a better way. So I jumped on craigslist. Lo and behold there was a duet washer 8 miles away (same exact model #) that was throwing a "FL" code. Owner said it spins and stops and repeats the cycle until he has to manually push the drain button. I knew right off what the problem was when I asked him if he had ever cleaned out the pump trap. He said he had never done anything to the machine. After getting him down from $100 to $40 since I did not want his pedestal cuz I already have one, he agreed and I went and got the machine.
Got it home and first thing I did was check that trap- it was full of change and even backing up into the black rubber drain hose. I cleaned it out, installed it back on my pedestal and hooked it up. It works as new now.
So I thought after finding this forum that I'd call Whirlpool and see if they'd send me a new SS tub and plastic outer tub along with the bearings which should already be pressed in- and they are!! The parts are in the mail with no arm twisting at all. Seems they know these machines are of a poor design. Yes, it will void my warranty if I install them but who cares. Labor on this job I can only imagine, probably $400 or so.
So anyways, I plan on making the same phone call (from a different phone) and getting the same parts for this other washer I now use since it will probably only be a matter of time before it makes some noise. Moral of the story is: clean out your pump catch or spend another $1000 on a new washer like this guy had already done.
Also, I'm a newbie so hello to everyone.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:30 AM

daninmd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbunder View Post
So I thought after finding this forum that I'd call Whirlpool and see if they'd send me a new SS tub and plastic outer tub along with the bearings which should already be pressed in- and they are!! The parts are in the mail with no arm twisting at all. Seems they know these machines are of a poor design. Yes, it will void my warranty if I install them but who cares. Labor on this job I can only imagine, probably $400 or so.
So anyways, I plan on making the same phone call (from a different phone) and getting the same parts for this other washer I now use since it will probably only be a matter of time before it makes some noise. Moral of the story is: clean out your pump catch or spend another $1000 on a new washer like this guy had already done.
Also, I'm a newbie so hello to everyone.
What number did you call please? I keep getting the response that they need to send someone out to verify that is the real issue.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.