Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RickHart  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 1:02:29 PM(UTC)
RickHart

Groups: Registered

I have been trying to repair my Whirlpool washing maching. The washer will not drain. I removed all of the hoses and the pump and they are all clear. I removed the motor switch and tested it with a multimeter. It appeared to be fluxuating so I replaced it. The motor spins on all of the cycles but it will not reverse to operate the water pump. I decided to replace the timer. I installed a new timer and it still does not reverse the polarity on the motor to operate the pump. Is there something else that needs to be replaced? I haven't replaced the motor because it operates properly in the agitator and the spin cycles. Does the motor need to be replaced? Are there any relay switches or fuses that could be burnt out not allowing the motor to operate the water pump? Any help would be appreciated.

I purchased all of the replacement parts from Appliance Parts Pro. I
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

RickHart  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 1, 2011 4:05:37 AM(UTC)
RickHart

Groups: Registered

I found the problem. As it turns out the motor did reverse direction and I didn't notice. I needed two people to test this. The reason why it wasn't draining was because the impellor inside the water pump had torn from the arbor it was attached to. I didn't notice it because it still turned when I tried it by hand. When the motor turned the arbor at a higher speed and under torque the impellor would not move. It was tough to diagnose this one. I actually opened the sealed water pump with a cold chisel to get to the inside to find the problem. It was fun taking out some of my frustrations on this part though. Installed a new pump and everything works great. Luckily I can return all of the new parts that I didn't need to Appliance Parts Pro. So it was only a $45 repair.

I just figured that I would post this solution for anyone with a similar problem.
sidfink43  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 3, 2011 8:53:26 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Rick

Glad you found out the problem, and thanks for sharing the info with us. That will be helpful in the future.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply