Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mhamlin2  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:09:55 AM(UTC)
mhamlin2

Groups: Registered

Found that the washer had been loaded way too tight this morning by the kids. I caught it very early on, but there was an electronics burning smell in the laundry room. So, after I pulled over half the clothes out, I thought we were ok. The wasther agitated fine. However, it would not spin. It clicks like it is going to spin cycle and drains as it should, but no movement. I removed the front and top panels to visually inspect. All looks good. The Magnetic Lid switch gets continuity when closed as it should. I ran it through a cycle with the front off so I could watch. Agitaties fine, but when it comes time to spin, there is no movement from the motor at all. What should I look at? Should I pull off the belts and look at the motor transmission, or should I suspect the timer/ electonics up in the control area? Any help would be appreciated. I can post pics or vids if you need them to diagnose...
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

mhamlin2  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:36:39 AM(UTC)
mhamlin2

When I put my hand under the motor pulley and spin the motor pulley and transmission 1 way (the belt is still on it), it spins freely. When I spin it the other way, it does spin the bucket. Is this how it agitates and then spins? It turns the motor 1 way to agitate and the other to spin?

Originally Posted by: mhamlin2 Go to Quoted Post
Found that the washer had been loaded way too tight this morning by the kids. I caught it very early on, but there was an electronics burning smell in the laundry room. So, after I pulled over half the clothes out, I thought we were ok. The wasther agitated fine. However, it would not spin. It clicks like it is going to spin cycle and drains as it should, but no movement. I removed the front and top panels to visually inspect. All looks good. The Magnetic Lid switch gets continuity when closed as it should. I ran it through a cycle with the front off so I could watch. Agitaties fine, but when it comes time to spin, there is no movement from the motor at all. What should I look at? Should I pull off the belts and look at the motor transmission, or should I suspect the timer/ electonics up in the control area? Any help would be appreciated. I can post pics or vids if you need them to diagnose...
mhamlin2  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:32:26 PM(UTC)
mhamlin2

I have the washer on it's back with the belt off. I did it just like this video suggests: http://washer-dryer-repair-vide...r-transmission-sprin.wmv
When I turn the dryer to any cycle position, it does not turn the motor. Is this because of some sensor now that I don't actually have water in it or it is on it's side? I have a magnet on the door switch and I hear it clicking so I think that that switch is closing properly. The only thing I can get to work, however is the pump. Any help would be appreciated. Between work and a houshold of 5, we can't do without this thing for long.
mhamlin2  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:02:42 PM(UTC)
mhamlin2

Ok. I walked away for a while and came back. I found out that the magnet I was using wasn't triggering the lid switch well enough even though it made the sound. So, what I have now:
The motor spins when it should be on a spin cycle. However, I cannot get the motor to spin when it should be agitating. Is this because the water level sensor does not trigger since there isn't any water? :confused: This is exactly opposite of what is happening when the Washer was all together. It was agitating, but not spinning.:eek: I am hoping it is a sensor or something not allowing it to spin in the agitate direction. If that is the case, it looks like my problem may be somewhere in the transmission/clutch/agitator area?
mhamlin2  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 1:53:23 PM(UTC)
mhamlin2

:( Atleast some is responding over on these forums:
The Virtual Repairman's Appliance Help :: View topic - GE Will Agitate, But Not Spin.

Originally Posted by: mhamlin2 Go to Quoted Post
Ok. I walked away for a while and came back. I found out that the magnet I was using wasn't triggering the lid switch well enough even though it made the sound. So, what I have now:
The motor spins when it should be on a spin cycle. However, I cannot get the motor to spin when it should be agitating. Is this because the water level sensor does not trigger since there isn't any water? :confused: This is exactly opposite of what is happening when the Washer was all together. It was agitating, but not spinning.:eek: I am hoping it is a sensor or something not allowing it to spin in the agitate direction. If that is the case, it looks like my problem may be somewhere in the transmission/clutch/agitator area?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply