Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
m789h  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 1:53:03 PM(UTC)
m789h

Groups: Registered

I have a kenmore model 22702100 washer approx. 9 years old. Agitates fine, but when it goes to drain and spin it won't drain and starts to spin but trips the circuit breaker. We have taken the top panel off and the lid switch seems to click and work fine we took the drain pump off and did not find anything hoses did not seem clogged at all. Not quite sure where to look next. Any answers would be great.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:43:37 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well the likely problem is something is hung up in the clutch and brake assembly, and you can read about it on the excellent Sticky at the top of this page. I am thinking that the brakes will not release, causing the motor to over draw current and trip the break.

First check to see that the coupling is ok by taking off the motor. Then go ahead and pull the transmission out and check the brake package.

Given the age of the machine your better strategy might be to replace it, since the parts can be costly and the prices of new machines were never better, at least where we live.
m789h  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:24:02 AM(UTC)
m789h

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Well the likely problem is something is hung up in the clutch and brake assembly, and you can read about it on the excellent Sticky at the top of this page. I am thinking that the brakes will not release, causing the motor to over draw current and trip the break.

First check to see that the coupling is ok by taking off the motor. Then go ahead and pull the transmission out and check the brake package.

Given the age of the machine your better strategy might be to replace it, since the parts can be costly and the prices of new machines were never better, at least where we live.

Thank you, we will give it a try.
m789h  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 8:27:45 AM(UTC)
m789h

Hi I'm back. my brother inlaw and I took everything apart and the clutch and brake assembly seemed to look ok, but we are no experts. Realized that the motor coupler was way to loose, it pulled right off the motor in one piece, so we replaced that and the new one had to be tapped on and is snug. He then also noticed a couple of the copper points on the motor switch didn't look good so he sanded them and polished them some. We hooked everything back up and it worked for about 6 loads, but did seem louder during agitation and kinda has a weird oily smell to it. Now it is doing pretty much the same thing as b4 except it will spin longer and water starts draining. But it keeps clicking like it wants to stop and start over and over again and eventually trips the breaker. He also said that at one time he noticed it wanted to agitate and spin at the same time. Could this be something with the motor switch. Or could the clutch and brake assembly still be bad, transmission? Help we are ready to throw this stinkin machine out in the snow!!
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 8:50:45 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

The symptons you now describe, particularly the attempt to spin and agitate at the same time are symptoms of a failing transmission, which could be the cause of your other problems.

You did the right things, and gave it a good shot, but nine years is a good life for a washer, and I think you can get a nice new no frills basic top loader for a good price these days, which is what I would do.
m789h  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 5:26:04 PM(UTC)
m789h

Thank you for the info and advice. We ended up taking the transmission apart and there was not much oil in it so we added some 90 wt. and it looked like the teeth on the bottom wheel inside were pretty worn down. Anyways we put it all back together and total failure. We came to the conclusion you are right. Bad transmission and its goin to the snow! Thanks again, you've been very helpful. This site is great for the diy guy.
sidfink43  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 5:38:24 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Yep, you probably noticed oil splatters on the inside of the cabinet. The tranny seal failed, and it threw out the oil as it spun until it broke.

Good luck with your new machine.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply