Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
5GMs  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 8:33:36 AM(UTC)
5GMs

Groups: Registered

My Amana washer, Manufacturing No. PLW8303W2B, appears to have a bad snubber ring. From the research I've been able to do this seems to be why the machine will not stay balanced and leaks/throws water over the top of the tub. The machine would only lose water at first during the spin cycle but now it is worse and occurs during the wash/agitation cycle.

Is it difficult to replace the snubber ring without a repair manual. The machine looks pretty straight forward from looking inside. Also, should I replace the tension/balance springs while I'm in there? Or, is there possibly another reason for the problems I'm experiencing?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

5GMs  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 1:48:14 PM(UTC)
5GMs

Ok, I went ahead and dove into this without a repair manual. This particular Amana is very straight forward, so it seems. Steps taken:
- Removed the front panel
- Removed the two screws keeping the top cover in place
- Raised the top cover to access the tub
- Removed all 6 springs
-Loosened the belt
- Raised the tub
- Removed old snubber and replaced it with a new snubber
- Reverse process to button everything up

Have run about 3 loads through it and no more leak/overflow from the tub. The machine is however being very sensitive to off-balance. When we open the lid to adjust the load we aren't adjusting the load much at all. Other than this it seems to be running fine.

Any thoughts?
libertyappl  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:14:54 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

Double check the alignment of the snubber.

Nat
5GMs  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:50:41 PM(UTC)
5GMs

Libertyappl -- the snubber on this model has guides (nipples) that fit into holes on the bottom of the washer. I just checked and found that one of them are not protruding through the hole. Ya know, I told myself to check but my son (17) told me all was well with it. During the fix I held up the tub while he installed the new snubber. I'll make the adjustment and respond later.

Thanks and more to follow.
5GMs  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 4:10:32 PM(UTC)
5GMs

Ok, so I adjusted the snubber and it overflowed again during the wash/agitation cycle. It is now in the spin cycle and doing fine. I noticed that it kept starting and stopping in the spin cycle. Seems the lid switch/mechanism is not seating; I ended up holding the lid down with a little extra pressure while the spin cycle started until it was up and running.

Anyway, this is where its at. More to follow when the cycle ends.
5GMs  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:20:28 AM(UTC)
5GMs

Well, the washer isn't overflowing any longer but it has now become very sensitive to becoming off-balance. The loads seem no different than usual but we are having to re-balance the load 2 or 3 times and then push the lid down while the spin cycle starts (this also happens during the wash cycle as it spins out to prep for the rinse cycle).

Any thoughts on this? Could I have bent the switch mechanism when I had the lid up on the initial repair?

Appreciate all inputs.
libertyappl  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2008 5:35:08 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Quite possibly, I would suggest replacing the lid switch and maybe the snubber again, making sure it seated correctly

Nat
5GMs  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:18:07 PM(UTC)
5GMs

Well, I've reseated the snubber and adjusted the lid switch. I am now back to where I started...the machine just overflowed while washing a couple of blankets. It seemed to run fine for the first two loads after making the adjustments.

I just don't get it. Any final thoughts? If not I'm off to Lowe's for a new one.

Thanks in advance,

joe
5GMs  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:21:45 AM(UTC)
5GMs

I must be a glutten for punishment because I went ahead and took one more look to see why this beast is overflowing. Well, with my very limited knowledge of washers I went ahead and raised the lid and watched the wash cycle. Here is what I found:
--Large to Xtra-large load; had one blanket and some misc. clothes to balance the load
--Filled with water fine
--During the agitation cycle the inner tub spins
--Spinning of the inner tub results in water shooting up through a plastic cover-like piece attached to the top of the tub. (This plastic piece looks like it should operate to allow overflowing water to flow back down into the tub.) Not sure what it is called.
--The tub will not center itself. If I push it to one side or the other it stays in place (off-center)
--Spin cycle works fine. The tub drains and the agitator stays in place while the tub spins.

Questions:
1) Should the inner tub spin while the washer is agitating? If not, is this a problem with the control mechanism?
2) Why is the tub not centering itself? I've replaced the snubber and checked it for proper seating. Can the springs also affect the centering by losing their tension (13 years old) and if so should I replace them?
libertyappl  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 28, 2008 3:37:31 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

The springs do affect the tub blanace and centering.

Nat
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply