Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scottbreen  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 6, 2007 3:23:29 PM(UTC)
scottbreen

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Front Load Washer, Model WBVH6240. It recently stopped draining. I removed the front service panel and drained the tub using the drain plug. The filter was pretty clogged with various items (coins, a rock, nail, screw, etc).

I thought that would fix the problem but it still does not drain. The pump doesn't seem to operate, it is hot to the touch so I'm assuming it is burned out. Confirmation of that would be great or if there was an easy way to verify I'd appreciate it.

I can't figure out how to access the pump in order to remove / replace it. I can't access from the front service panel or the rear. Right now that is the biggest obstacle for me to repair - Help.

The pump is a DP40-018 Hanning Elektro Werke. I also couldn't find the pump or this model washer on this web site for parts.

Thanks,
Scott
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

tvfixer  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 6, 2007 3:46:49 PM(UTC)
tvfixer

Hey Scott,
With all the items you have found in the drain I suspect you more in the pump. First thing you can do take the drain hose can blow into it without restriction. If not take lose the hoses to the pump. You might want to get some pinch off pliers to save water from going ever where or a shop vac to suck out the tub. If the pump is getting warm current is flowing to it and propeller is jammed more than likely. The front should have a couple of 1/4 screws at the corners on the front I think. should pop after removing them.
Good Luck.
Mike
scottbreen  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 6, 2007 7:46:05 PM(UTC)
scottbreen

tvfixer, thanks for the input. The hoses were clear so I pulled out the pump. You were right, just the two screws and then it came out after disconnecting hoses and power.

There were a couple of small items and a lot of lint in the pump, although nothing that looked like it would cause it to be jammed. I cleaned the pump, tested it outside of the washer and confirmed it worked. I installed it back in the washer, put everything back together and it works - no problems.

Thanks for the tip to check for something else clogging the pump and how to pull the pump out.

Thanks,
Scott
masterfool  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 4:09:00 PM(UTC)
masterfool

We had this problem for months. I took the bottom front panel off and removed the drain plug/trap. WOW! I found pens, change, tools, screws, guitar picks, hair, sand...no wonder it wouldn't drain! I cleaned all that out and now the washer is working fine. My guess is the pump that was getting hot had some manner of debris inside it? I wish GE would publish this as a maintenance issue (or did they already?). Anyway, my wife is happy again :)
liz31web  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 7:53:03 PM(UTC)
liz31web

Ok I am having the same problem but for some reason I cannot find the drain plug. Con someone help me locate it?
masterfool  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:11:30 PM(UTC)
masterfool

Remove three small screws from front bottom panel. Drain plug is white on my machine. It is adjaceent to the pump just to the right of center under the door. Note the alignment marks for reinstalling it when you're done. Have a bucket handy! Hope this helps!
mhuska  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 5:37:29 AM(UTC)
mhuska

Our Sears/Whirlpool washer was showing a F21 code as well. We could eventually get it drained but we could tell it was not doing well as it was making quite a noise. We hired the Sears repair man, he says "I see this all the time - it's a sock stuck in the drain." He takes 3 screws off the panel just below the door on the bottom side of the panel and lifts it off. There is a white cap on the right side that he unscrews by grabbing the cap with a plyers. Important: catch the water as a lot will drain out. Pulls out the sock and some coins and says that will be $150. Hopefully I just saved you that money.
Ritche  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 8:23:19 AM(UTC)
Ritche

Thanks to this site my front load washer is fixed. The washer would not drain or spin. I had drained the washer by taking the drain trap out, what a mess. The washer was still doing the same thing, no drain and no spin. I felt the pump and it was hot. Then I found this site, as other's have sugested, I decided to re-drain the washer and pull the pump out and check for clogs in it. I didn't have any lint in it , however I found a rubber band just behind the propeller. I removed it, put washer back together, and the washer works like new. WOW this site saved me calling the repair man and costing me big money.:)
Fberry  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:39:56 PM(UTC)
Fberry

I just wanted to say thanks to those that took the time to post their rememdies here. Through your descriptions I was able to free two socks (I thought the dryer ate them), a golf tee, sand and a streight pin. Also, I am two cents richer than when I started. After the cleaning the stuff out of the clean out, my washer is fixed. You saved my weekend.
handygal  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2009 9:54:34 AM(UTC)
handygal

Thanks to all of you for your input! My frigidaire washer would not empty water from the rinse cycle. I did an internet search and stumbled upon this wonderful site. You explained precisely what to do (it was a GE response, but close enough to work for my Frigidaire). I did it, and it worked! Thanks to the contributor who noted there was little lint or trash in the dryer, but cleaning it of that small amount still corrected the problem. I had almost nothing but a bit of lint and a little gunk buildup. Would NEVER have believed that was enough to interfere, but it was! A later entry commented on working on the frigidaire pump specifically. Sorry I didn't see it earlier. That entry is correct. You need to be prepared to replace the red metal tension clips with metal screw-type bands. It is impossible to get the red metal ones back on in the back area using regular household tools, and it takes very strong hands to open the clips. I was able to remove everything and clean and reconstruct the pump housing, but I didn't have enough finger strength to put the red metal clips back on, even with vise grips, etc. to help. The screw-on bands were a life saver! Be sure to get 6, 3 a size exactly the same as the red clip and 3 one size larger. That way, if you can't get the exact one to open enough to fit around the back hose (the hardest to reach and work on), you can go up one size and then just tighten it more.) There was a lot of water, but my washer is on a draining stand, over a concrete floor with a floor drain, so it was no problem. If you're working on a "good" floor, be sure you have set up a mechanism for catching the water when you open the drains. Thank you again, everyone!!! Your answers were right on and you saved me the $150 repairman fee!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply