Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
brmoon  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:48:52 AM(UTC)
brmoon

Groups: Registered

My son /daughter-in-law, have a washing machine that appears to work fine as far as the control system. But, the agitator and drum seem to stop to abruptly when the lid is raised. It recently would not turn and burned the belt some what. I investigated for them, it was set for a small load and still had water in the tub. I set it for spin and it started right up but I noticed when I raised the lid that the tub came to an abrupt stop after about a turn. Our washing machine basically coasts to a stop. What could be the cause for this?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:26:05 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: brmoon Go to Quoted Post
My son /daughter-in-law, have a washing machine that appears to work fine as far as the control system. But, the agitator and drum seem to stop to abruptly when the lid is raised. It recently would not turn and burned the belt some what. I investigated for them, it was set for a small load and still had water in the tub. I set it for spin and it started right up but I noticed when I raised the lid that the tub came to an abrupt stop after about a turn. Our washing machine basically coasts to a stop. What could be the cause for this?

Br,

Is the model number you supplied, for your son's machine ?

If that's the case,

You want to start at the brake rotor / stator and thrust bearing assembly,

Part number: AP4373023
Part number: AP4373023

Part number: AP4045273
Part number: AP4045273

Part number: AP4009132
Part number: AP4009132

Part number: AP4024823
Part number: AP4024823

The model number you gave, indicates that this unit is an older Admiral built product, and all these parts are most likely well worn, and out of adjustment, and need to be replaced.

It's an involved repair, but somewhat easy, with basic tools, and a couple of longer screws, to dismantle the brake/rotor assembly safely.

We'll be happy to assist, when you're ready to start the repair.

:) :) :)
richappy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:37:24 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Using the model # given, it comes up as a Maytag washer, not a Whirlpool.
brmoon  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:46:31 AM(UTC)
brmoon

It is my son's machine. I do believe you are correct that it is an older Maytag. They recently were married and were as most newlyweds having to pinch pennies. Overall the machine appears to be in great condition. Thanks for the quick responses.
brmoon  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:54:05 AM(UTC)
brmoon

I noticed that there are two possible transmissions for this washer. How do I determine which parts list to order from? Will this be a part of the serial number?
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:28:34 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

I noticed that there are two possible transmissions for this washer. How do I determine which parts list to order from? Will this be a part of the serial number?

BR,

The first two numbers of the serial number, is the "series" number for orderring parts.

In the APP parts diagram, you will see the two parts break down diagrams.

Series 15, if the first two numbers are 15 or lower, you use and order parts from the series 15 diagram.

Series 16, if the first two numbers are 16 or above, you use and order parts from the series 16 diagram.

Most of the parts you need will most likely substitute over to the series 16 machine, anyway.

At this point, I don't see you needing a transmission, it's a possibility, but not likely, based on the information in your first post.

brmoon  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:41:27 AM(UTC)
brmoon

Thank you very much. I am sure they will feel a little relief. The transmission is quite costly.
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:32:33 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thank you very much. I am sure they will feel a little relief. The transmission is quite costly.

BR,

If I thought you or they had a bad transmission, they'd be better off buying another unit.

There's still a 10 % possibility, there may be a transmission problem.

I'm pretty sure, once you get the parts I reccomended installed and adjusted, they'll be fine.

That model number indicates that that unit was produced at the Admiral Laundry Plant(Admiral was a Maytag subsidiary)in Searcy, AR.

Technicians, used to refer to those units as a "Searcy platform/built unit".

It was a pretty decent unit, the most common failure was/is the thrust bearing assembly, and if you let it go long enough, eventually the brake rotor would fail,as well.

Good Luck,
richappy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 1:28:51 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would tilt the washer back and remove the single belt. Check the motor and pump to verify they are not hard to turn. Turn the tranny pulley, one direction spin, the other agitate. If hard to turn in spin, you probably have a bad brake in the brake housing.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply