Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richappy  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 1:13:16 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have never seen this problem before, it really has me mystified.
Subject direct drive washer will agitate during the rinse cycle in the normal setting and will sail right through the spin period still agitating till the cycle ends, then stops full of water. If I open the lid during this period, the agitation stops. When I close the lid, it starts pumping out, but will not spin. I assume the tranny neutral clutch is working normally.
When the permanent press cycle is selected, there is a normal failure of no spin.
This discounts a slipped dial indicator. The timer contacts are burnt bad so maybe one is shorted?? This particular timer is a poor design that wears out, so probably just a bad timer.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:10:28 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
I have never seen this problem before, it really has me mystified.
Subject direct drive washer will agitate during the rinse cycle in the normal setting and will sail right through the spin period still agitating till the cycle ends, then stops full of water. If I open the lid during this period, the agitation stops. When I close the lid, it starts pumping out, but will not spin. I assume the tranny neutral clutch is working normally.
When the permanent press cycle is selected, there is a normal failure of no spin.
This discounts a slipped dial indicator. The timer contacts are burnt bad so maybe one is shorted?? This particular timer is a poor design that wears out, so probably just a bad timer.

It sounds like timer contacts welded together.

I saw one once that actually ran all day while the lady was at work. It would go though one cycle, then the next, and the next. Over and over, it ran for over eight hours until she got home. The clothes were very clean :)

I've seen others that would try to run both windings at the same time.

Best way to confirm it is to check the switches with your meter one at a time. Until you find the welded together ones. Or change out the timer.
magician59  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:36:16 AM(UTC)
magician59

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
The clothes were very clean :)

I was drinking as I read this. Nearly came out of my nose!
richappy  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 3:25:20 AM(UTC)
richappy

Magician:
I have one that will make you gag more.
Christmas eve a few years ago, went to this run down home, smelly and messy.
Several dogs growling and clawing at some door trying to get to me,which didn't make me feel good. Started replacing the lid switch on this stacked Whirlpool. Got that done, started it up and the motor started banging and shaking, it had really bad bearings. Replaced it with a used one to save them money, they could certainly use that.
Started the washer in spin, ran really good till I felt like a dog was peeing on my leg and into my shoe. The drain was overflowing. Owner came over and said"You gotta stick the hose out the door"!
Oh well, it was Christmas eve, they where happy with the small bill, and I did a good deed for the day!
magician59  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 7:03:11 AM(UTC)
magician59

Yep...Nothing like the occasional mess, and sometimes the smell of rotting flesh to keep us humble and grateful for what we have. Maybe we ought to start a thread of "war stories". With 40 years in locksmithing, and the last few in appliance repairs, I have quite a few, myself!
richappy  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 9:13:36 AM(UTC)
richappy

Here is a interesting repair.
Lady brought in this microwave, customer said the unit overheats and there are loose screws inside.
Pulled it apart and found the dummy at a local service shop ( he got fired later) let the magnetron hang on one loose screw. I guess he figured more air would get on the magnetron this way and cool it better. Left the rf seal area open and allowed a LOT of stray microwave energy radiating inside the unit. Very good thing I didn't do a functional test with the cover off! I know HEW would like a word with him.
Turned out to be a slow cooling fan motor!
magician59  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 9:23:05 AM(UTC)
magician59

I had a similar fix that wasn't so obvious. Repairman kept throwing parts at a microwave oven that kept blowing fuses. After the third capacitor, it was brought to us. Found by studying the schematic that the wire leads to the capacitor were reversed.

Repairman was supposedly a retired robotics tech!
richappy  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 2:00:01 PM(UTC)
richappy

Oh, I just went over 5000!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply