Discuss

GE Washer not draining or spinning, but will agitate and fill

in

Washer Repair

. "

A couple days ago, my son did a load of laundry and washed a pillow. Since then, the washer will

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » GE Washer not draining or spinning, but will agitate and fill

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 10:04 AM

jcsaxx is on a distinguished road
Default FIXED: GE Washer not draining or spinning, but will agitate and fill
Brand: -brand-   Age: Less than 1 year   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

A couple days ago, my son did a load of laundry and washed a pillow. Since then, the washer will not drain or spin. The washer will still agitate and will fill with water. All the machine does after agitating is, I hear a clicking noise of the timer.

When agitating the motor moves the belt, so that should mean both the belt and motor are good, right???

We have been finding parts of the pillow stuffing around the washing "bowl", but not inside at all. We did take off the outer hose and the water all drained out, but didn't see of the pillow stuffing come out. I'm guessing the problem has to be related to washing the pillow, because of the timing of the machine messing up right afterwards.

So we are stuck going to the laundry mat until we figure this out.

Please help. I don't have anything to check the voltage or anything like that. I have tried the "trick" of unplugging power for 1 minute, then plugging it in, then opening and shutting the lid 6 times in 30 seconds.

MODEL #: wbsb3140daww

Last edited by jcsaxx : 11-28-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: FIXED THE PROBLEM: Pump was clogged...
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 11-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

magician59 will become famous soon enough

What's the model number?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician59 View Post
What's the model number?

wbsb3140daww
Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

It sounds like you have a clogged pump. If it is clear,you may have a bad motor or a broken transmission. I don't have any experience with the "clutchless" motor, but if it follows tradition, the transmission is the culprit.
Part number: AP3160348

Part number: AP3160348

Part number: AP2046402

Part number: AP2046402

Part number: AP3205861

Part number: AP3205861

Last edited by magician59 : 11-22-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:54 AM

Pardon the question, but if it was the agitator coupling, would the machine NOT agitate at all?

Please explain if you can.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

EXPLANATION: That post was edited out.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:03 PM

So if the pump is clogged (won't know until I figure out how to take it apart), the motor won't turn the belt at all, right??? I have no idea what I'm doing, so pardon all the questions. Want to narrow it down as much as possible.

Heading to work.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Your pump is electric. It's located in the cabinet toward the back right. You'll be able to identify the component by the drain hoses attached to it. A quick way to check to see if it's clogged is to take the drain hose out of the stand pipe and lower it to a level below that of the water in the tub. If water trickles out, or no flow at all, you'll likely have to replace it. This isn't 100% reliable, as water can possibly flow through the pump, and still the impeller can be clogged.
Here's a parts breakdown that shows the general construction of your machine. To open the cabinet, notice the spring clips about 4 inches from each front top corner (the machine top; not the console). While lifting each respective corner, push in against the clip with a flat tool (like a putty knife) until that corner releases. This will expose the screws that hold the front panel in place.
Cabinet, cover & front panel replacement parts for General Electric WBSR3140DAWW Washer | AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 11-28-2010, 12:45 PM

Default Fixed...

So the problem was that part of the pillow stuffing was clogging the pump. Pulled out the stuffing and now the washer is working. So far, testing is going very good. It's draining and spinning.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Great to hear you didn't need parts...Well done!
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.