Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
driley  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2008 7:06:41 AM(UTC)
driley

Groups: Registered

I have an Amana Distinctions large capacity commercial washer that just started to make a deafening noise during spin cycle. It was fine till I washed a large load of jeans. It has made the load noise ever since. The noise is so load that you have to shout to be heard over it. My husband is handy if you point him in the right direction to fix this. He just needs to know what to look for.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

helpwithausername  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2008 8:44:36 AM(UTC)
helpwithausername

I think I have the same washer and it's only 5 yrs old. I'm very disappointed that it's having problems already. Mine was making a loud (not deafening) noise during the spin. I ignored it. Then the laundry room filled with black smoke and burnt rubber smell. I replace the belt, idle spring, and idle pulley wheel. It ran fine (though still a little noisy) for a few days. Then the black cloud of death came again. I've search the internet (I'm new to this site though). My next move is to try to find a way to tighten the belt (I can see it slipping at the very beginning of the spin cycle.) by adjusting the motor position. I've also seen and heard that the brake could be sticking. I played with it a lot last night and I don't think the brake is sticking though. I'm the one that's stuck. If the belt tightening doesn't work, I'm buying a new, non-Amana washer.
magician59  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2008 9:06:53 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Can't be of much help to you without a model #.
v2k04  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2008 9:07:08 AM(UTC)
v2k04

Originally Posted by: driley Go to Quoted Post
I have an Amana Distinctions large capacity commercial washer that just started to make a deafening noise during spin cycle. It was fine till I washed a large load of jeans. It has made the load noise ever since. The noise is so load that you have to shout to be heard over it. My husband is handy if you point him in the right direction to fix this. He just needs to know what to look for.

Remove the acess panel in front and look for water leak damage up uinder center of outer tub The howl and loud deafing noise would be the spin bearing has gotten wet from the tub seal leaking and your looking at a major overhaul on washer Seals and bearings
v2k04  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2008 9:08:45 AM(UTC)
v2k04

Originally Posted by: helpwithausername Go to Quoted Post
I think I have the same washer and it's only 5 yrs old. I'm very disappointed that it's having problems already. Mine was making a loud (not deafening) noise during the spin. I ignored it. Then the laundry room filled with black smoke and burnt rubber smell. I replace the belt, idle spring, and idle pulley wheel. It ran fine (though still a little noisy) for a few days. Then the black cloud of death came again. I've search the internet (I'm new to this site though). My next move is to try to find a way to tighten the belt (I can see it slipping at the very beginning of the spin cycle.) by adjusting the motor position. I've also seen and heard that the brake could be sticking. I played with it a lot last night and I don't think the brake is sticking though. I'm the one that's stuck. If the belt tightening doesn't work, I'm buying a new, non-Amana washer.

The belt is designed to slip you get it to tight and the water from the momentum of it going into spin will splash over the top of the tub. You have more problems than a belt slipping
helpwithausername  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2008 10:09:41 AM(UTC)
helpwithausername

Originally Posted by: v2k04 Go to Quoted Post
The belt is designed to slip you get it to tight and the water from the momentum of it going into spin will splash over the top of the tub. You have more problems than a belt slipping

When it's working properly, I don't see it slip. I tried opening and closing the door to get it to "catch" and spin. I also tried turning the dial with the lid open and then closing the lid to start and see if that helped. I finally got it to "catch" and spin. I think the dial helped. Is this a timer issue? Brake issue? The wheel directly below the motor turns/spins, but the belt and tub don't move. I think the tub is the problem. Sticking brake? Or could there be something wrong with the tub mechanism? Tightness/bearings? I don't have any water leakage.
v2k04  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2008 10:37:25 AM(UTC)
v2k04

the leak is hard to detect with ther belt off the pully turns one way to agitate anf the opposite way to spin the brakes release when it reverses. try spinning it by hand maybe something is wedged between the tubs thats what will smoke a belt
helpwithausername  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2008 10:53:04 AM(UTC)
helpwithausername

I have tried spinning the tub from underneath the washer (access thru the front panel). One time I turned it both directions. It moved a little and then locked. Later I figured out which direction it turns in the spin cycle and turned it that way. It does move. I don't think there is anything blocking it, but I am only looking from the front access panel. Another website that I searched says that I may have a spin bearing or basket drive that is worn or seized and I need a qualified repair technician.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply