Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rogers01  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 6, 2010 8:24:05 AM(UTC)
rogers01

Groups: Registered

For the last few months our clothes come out smelling moldy and the washer itself smells a little moldy (if you stick your whole head in, you can smell it). My husband thinks it needs to be cleaned and/or the lint filter needs to be replaced. I saw an earlier post for the same problem on an HE but I'm not sure how much and HE and non-HE differ. I found WasherMagic on this site that is for non-HE washers. Could that be all we need to do? If it is the filter, how do we replace it? Anything else it could be?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jofo  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 6, 2010 5:46:41 PM(UTC)
jofo

Groups: Registered

Try "smelly washer". I ordered it on line, and am sure it will last me a while. Top loaders can get moldy smelling too. I takes a few cycles and is got worse for me before better, but now I use it once a month and the smell is gone. My whole laundry room smells better, and my clothes are cleaner!
ThatGuy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 6, 2010 6:05:01 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rogers01 Go to Quoted Post
For the last few months our clothes come out smelling moldy and the washer itself smells a little moldy (if you stick your whole head in, you can smell it). My husband thinks it needs to be cleaned and/or the lint filter needs to be replaced. I saw an earlier post for the same problem on an HE but I'm not sure how much and HE and non-HE differ. I found WasherMagic on this site that is for non-HE washers. Could that be all we need to do? If it is the filter, how do we replace it? Anything else it could be?

Your washer doesn't have a lint filter. All washers will smell moldy after awhile. When you wash clothes in them, the clothes have sweat or other body fluids on them, towels can carry bacteria, and most fabric softeners can decay after time. All this can lead to some bad smells. No washer is completely dry after washing, so it makes a nice warm, damp, dark place to grow mold.

I usually wash underwear and towels with some Clorox. This will kill the mold growing in the washer. It doesn't take much. About two tablespoons full in a large load. You can use more if you want. Just don't get carried away.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply