Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
patelrr  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2010 5:46:24 AM(UTC)
patelrr

Groups: Registered

I have disassembled the complete washer. I have the mode shift assembly
separated from the motor assembly. The question I have, what is the current in amperes it draws when the coil is energized to engage the mode shifter for agitation? I checked for coil continuity, seems it's open, because no
reading was observed on ohm meter. How do I check the Motor? Does anybody have inverter circuit schematic diagram to understand how does it works?

:)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2010 6:43:36 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

What original symptom(s) prompted you to disassemble the machine?
patelrr  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2010 8:44:05 AM(UTC)
patelrr

The washer was making noise and the tub was wobbling shaking the washer
trying to lift off from the floor. Continuous noise when agitating and spinning.
magician59  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2010 9:31:07 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Am I correct in assuming that you observed the operation of the machine and ruled out the suspension?
patelrr  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2010 10:24:02 AM(UTC)
patelrr

Yes. Do You Have The Information I Requested?
applianceman  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2010 11:56:25 AM(UTC)
applianceman

If the shifter coil is open the washer tub will rotate back and forth during wash and this will cause an unusual noise. I don’t know what the current draw of the coil is. Also the sifter uses DC current, which means that a regular clamp-on amp meter will not read it. If it does read it will not be accurate. But if the tub is not rotating during wash then the shifter coil is not open. The sifter coil being open will not cause the spin cycle to be noisy.

Also if the sifter is bad (or at least the motor “thinks” the sifter is bad) you will get the 4 flash error code. More on error codes HydroWave GE Washer Repair Guide

Fill the tub with water and look under the motor. If motor bracket is hitting the bottom of the washer you have what is called the “sagging apron” issue. What happens is the front apron will bend down to the point that the motor hits the bottom of the washer. Typically this will only be noisy during wash when the washer if full of water but if it is bad enough it can hit even with no water in the tub.

Sometimes the big nut that holds the tub in place will come loose. Reach in the washer and see if the tub seems loose. Note that the tub will rotate but shouldn’t wobble. If this is the case take the agitator out and remove the agitator coupling. Once the coupling is off see if the big nut is loose. If it is you will have to have a spanner wrench and a big hammer to properly tighten the nut. You will not be able to over tighten it so don’t worry about that.

As for checking the motor you can take the belt off to see if the motor is noisy. This will rule everything else out. As far as I know GE doesn’t make an inverter schematic that they will give to us.

There is also a bearing in the sifter that could be noisy. I haven’t seen this yet but I would assume it would be a roaring noise that you would normally associate with a bad bearing.

GE HydroWave Noisy Washer Repair Guide
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply