Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
macadotious  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:29:19 PM(UTC)
macadotious

Groups: Registered

On the largest load cycle, water sloshes out of the flood tube during the agitation cycle. What can I do?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2010 9:12:48 AM(UTC)
applianceman

This model was famous for a brake problem. When the brakes fail the tub will spin during the wash cycle. The centripetal force of the spinning tub forces the water up and over the tub. Take the front off the washer and watch it during a wash cycle. If the tub is turning during wash then you have a brake problem, which can only be corrected by replacing the transmission. We used to fix the brakes but they discontinued the parts now you have to replace the transmission. This page can help with that

GE Washer Disassembly Guide

If that isn’t the problem then it could be too much detergent or too active detergent. I have seen where you could put the correct amount of detergent in a washer and it would still over suds. If this is the problem there will me mostly suds coming out of the tube. If this is the case cut down on detergent or change detergent brands.

It could also be an overflow problem. Watch it during fill, the water level shouldn’t be over the top row of holes in the tub. If it is overflowing take a look at the tube that connects of the bottom left of the tube and see if it is partially clogged.
magician59  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2010 10:07:04 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

This is NOT to be nit-picky (OK, it IS a bit nit-picky), or meant to insult anyone's intelligence; but I couldn't leave it alone: The spinning force that causes an outward motion is centrifugal. Centripetal force is directed toward the center.
applianceman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2010 10:56:24 AM(UTC)
applianceman

Ok… thanks for the English lesson. :rolleyes:
magician59  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2010 1:20:57 PM(UTC)
magician59

No insult was intended. Your English was never at issue...this is mere physics.
applianceman  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2010 1:58:24 PM(UTC)
applianceman

I wasn’t insulted. I was just kidding.

To be honest I really didn’t know there was a difference in the two words, centripetal and centrifugal [FONT='Times New Roman'](I did hit dictionary.com after you said something)[/FONT]. Maybe this conversation will make me look smarter in the future. I guess I still got the point across even if it were the wrong use of the word but it would have looked better if I used the right word.

macadotious  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2010 2:33:08 PM(UTC)
macadotious

Ok, I have found the water level to be above the holes in the drum, which is apparently higher than usual due to a visible water line on the tub. No tubes on the left side are clogged. The drum inside the tub does move about a half inch back and forth during agitation, but it is definitely not spinning.

Any more tips? Thanks for what you have already posted!
magician59  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2010 6:58:02 PM(UTC)
magician59

ApplianceMan: You appear to be the GE guru.You've posted a couple really useful links regarding GE...I'm more of a Maytag guy. I'm going to shut up and listen in on this one.
applianceman  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2010 8:36:25 PM(UTC)
applianceman

The brakes are not bad if that is the case. Seems the water level is the problem.

Just so I am clear on the tube it is the one that connects to the box looking thing at the bottom left of the tub. Be 100% sure this tube isn’t clogged before moving on. Typically it will clog with grease but sometimes it is hair, which can be hard to see. I carry this tube on the truck at all times but typically I can clean it out with a stiff wire. If you are unsure replace the tube because it is cheaper than the control or the water valve and it only takes a little clog to cause it to overflow what little bit you are talking about. You also need to check to see if the nipple that the tube connects to is clear.

Start the washer then turn the washer on and off repeatedly (you can unplug if you like). Each time you turn it off (or unplug it) the water should stop right then. If it continues to run, for more than a few seconds replace the water valve. If it stops immediately each time then you can assume the water level control is bad. The water level controls do not fail often but I sometimes the water valves stick for a while after the power is removed This will cause the water level to be higher than normal which can cause water to run out of the overflow tube.

[FONT='Times New Roman']This is or can be intermitting which is why I say do it repeatedly so make sure you do the test enough times that you are satisfied that valve is working. But if it fails the test just one time replace the valve. [/FONT]
macadotious  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:44:06 AM(UTC)
macadotious

The tubes connecting to the small box on the left are not clogged, but I haven't taken the washer apart enough to see if it is clogged from the inside. Is that a possibility? We have three dogs and four humans, all of whom seem to shed a lot.

I'll check the water cut off switch as per your suggestion. Again, thanks for your time!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply