Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PatrickCA  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 9:53:12 PM(UTC)
PatrickCA

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I just picked up a used GE Profile model WPSR31202WW washer from a friend. I should first state that while it's seen light duty, it was sitting on a covered porch in the California mountains for a month or longer after they'd upgraded.

I tested it today, and the washer will run through normal cycles but will not spin. There is the sound of a motor spinning, and a slight burnt smell. I'd read that it could be the hub, hub nut, split ring or washer assembly. I took apart the washer, but need assistance diagnosing the problem. The hub nut (the aluminum one) and the hub seem okay. The split ring is well, split. But there looks to be no washer, just some dirty residue. From this photo, it looks like the washer is indeed gone/dissolved. Could this be the problem?

UserPostedImage

FYI, I can turn the lower pulley by tugging the belt easily clockwise, it takes more effort counter-clockwise. I understand the transmission can be the issue as well.

Thanks for any input regarding this machine.

Patrick
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 2:09:40 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Patrick,

Sounds like the transmission gone bad. If the washer looks from the bottom as it looks on the picture, I do not think it worth it.

Here are the break down diagrams for the GE washer Model WPSR3120W2WW

Gene.
Drags1998  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:04:26 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

Groups: Senior Expert

If your willing to gamble a little, replace the tapered piece in the picture and put it back together. The washer IS there. remove the tapered piece and clean EVERYTHING there up, put on the SPLIT RING and TIGHTEN THE tub nut TIGHT!!!! I bet it will work!!!!:)
PatrickCA  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:57:20 PM(UTC)
PatrickCA

Thanks for the feedback. Gene, the washer is actually in really good shape otherwise. It was at a second home so at first glance, it looks almost new. I'd like to try and save it if I can.

Drags, I'm a bit confused. The split ring is the cone shaped thing, right? (It's split on the backside.) Are you saying pull it off, clean everything up and reassemble?

What do the transmission kits go for? I think they might come with the smaller parts, nuts etc. I got this washer free, so a couple bucks is probably worth it.
PatrickCA  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:51:09 AM(UTC)
PatrickCA

Apologies to Gene, I just checked the link and saw the tranny kit price. Yeah, that could be a dealbreaker.
Drags1998  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:43:05 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

Groups: Senior Expert

The cone shaped part should be a TIGHT fit on the transmission housing,It should slide all the way down to the flat washer in the pic. Its what drives the wash basket in the spin cycle!!!!! Get a new cone and try it!!!
PatrickCA  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:45:19 PM(UTC)
PatrickCA

I'll give it a go. The reason it's way up high and crooked like that is because I pulled it up there to clean out beneath. But it's a small part and worth a try. Thanks!
washer_pro  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:04:08 PM(UTC)
washer_pro

From your picture I can tell you that the hub nut had come loose at some point. It's crucial that the split ring be replaced (I recommend a new flat washer and nut also). Put it all back together, remember it is a left-hand thread, and torque it to 100+ ft-lbs.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply