Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mlowder  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:45:53 AM(UTC)
mlowder

Groups: Registered

My washer is leaking where shaft goes up through tub and agitator. After looking at the parts, I believe I need a tub seal, and a tub bearing assembly? Do I need any other parts? Do I need any special tools? Can you give me the part numbers that I need?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:55:30 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

This kit comes with everything you should need as far as materials. Be advised, though, that the plastic spinner and tub can warp, and have a tendancy to continue to leak, even after the seals are replaced. Also, this is a labor-intensive job, and will require the purchase of a spanner wrench, and air dome adapter. Part number: AP4261193
mlowder  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:19:34 AM(UTC)
mlowder

What is an air dome adapter? What is it used for? Could I see a picture of it on the web?
magician59  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:49:11 AM(UTC)
magician59

It's an adapter that fits around the ribs on the air dome, so even turning pressure can be applied to remove it without breaking it. I checked yesterday with this website to see if the necessary tools are in stock. They are not. I'll try to find you a link.
mlowder  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:54:07 AM(UTC)
mlowder

Well, I used a spanner wrench and have now removed every thing down to the outer tub seal, but now I cannot get the outer tub seal out. Can you give me a tip as to how to remove the outer tub seal? Also, it looks as if when the outer tub seal went bad that the last time I washed clothes and it hit the spin cycle that the outer tub seal was bad and allowed the outer tub flange to be worn down to eye level with the outer tub seal top. Does this mean that I have to replace the outer tub too?
magician59  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 11:21:03 AM(UTC)
magician59

Chances are that the tub will leak after the repair; so replacing the tub can only increase your chance of a successful repair.
mlowder  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:00:02 PM(UTC)
mlowder

Well, I checked and most places the outer tub will cost around $150.00. YOU tell me would you spend that kind of money to fix a 5 year old Maytag washer or would you go buy the new front loader washer and dryer pair?
magician59  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:33:44 PM(UTC)
magician59

Please note that my opinion is personal, and in no way implies that any particular make or model is a bad choice. I would only spend that kind of repair money on a direct-drive Whirlpool washer, OR a Maytag Dependable Care model.
A repair on ANY other brand or model would be determined by its age and condition.
mlowder  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:56:41 AM(UTC)
mlowder

That's all I need to know. Thanks everyone for help. I would still like to know how you remove the seal head from the outer tub? Email me the answer at lowdermilks@hotmail.com
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply