Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bbaum  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 2:22:12 PM(UTC)
bbaum

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag MAVT546EWW washing machine purchased from Lowe's about 4 years ago. Recently I discovered that my clothes were coming out very damp, and this was a result of the spin cycle not working. I have watched the machine go through all of the cycles and it is performing as expected until it hits the spin cycle. At this point, the water drains but the agitator moves as if it were in a wash cycle. If I hold the auger while it agitates (during what is supposed to be the spin cycle) the tub will start to spin. However, it never gets up to speed and will stop spinning unless I continue to hold it.

Is this a thrust bearing issue?

Thanks,
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 3:41:10 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The Thrust Bearing failure is the major cause of spin failures in this model, but I am concerned that the agitator is turning.

I would change out the Thrust Bearing as it is an inexpensive and easy repair, but that may not fix things.
CrystalOL  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 7:34:16 PM(UTC)
CrystalOL

I have a 4 year old Maytag MAV408daww that is doing the same thing. The only difference is if I try to stop to agitator (while in motion) it begins to spin and will continue, but probably not spinning as fast as it should be. If I try to spin the agitator with the machine not running it doesn't spin freely and seems to get locked up after 3/4 of a revolution or so.

Did you replace the thrust bearing with success?
bbaum  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 11, 2010 5:51:43 PM(UTC)
bbaum

It took me longer to get to this project than I had intended, but I did replace the thrust bearing kit and it did not solve the issue. When I turn the pulley, it does not cause the cam to pull the shaft down at all. It almost seems as if the break were too tight and is not loose enough to release. Is this actually possible? Any thoughts?
CrystalOL  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2010 10:19:31 AM(UTC)
CrystalOL

My problem turned out to be a bad transmission. The part was covered under warranty since the machine was only about 4 years old, but the installation was just over $200.00 so I decided to scrap the machine and purchase a new high efficiency one.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply