Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
steved  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:16:10 AM(UTC)
steved

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I need to replace the motor coupling (285753A) on my direct drive kenmore washer.

Any suggestions as to how to remove the metal collar on the coupler. This is the new design that has the metal collar and I can't pry it off. Removing the plastic piece is easy since you can break it. The problem is trying to remove the inner metal collar that is pressed onto the gearbox shaft and motor shaft.

Also, once I get it off any suggestions as to putting the new one on without breaking it since I assume you can just push it on with your hand.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Steve
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

steved  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2007 4:48:08 PM(UTC)
steved

Cold chisel and a hammer. Place the cold chisel in back of the collar and place the shaft of the cold chisel on the steal gear housing where the hole for the bolt to the plate is. Then beat on the cold chisel with a hammer. This worked and it eventually popped off.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2007 2:19:30 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would be reluctant to pound on anything. I would gently drive a small screwdriver between the steel insert and the flat of the tranny and motor spindles. This should loosen it enough for removal. Now tap in a new coupler on the tranny shaft and turn the coupler clockwise till the spin basket starts to turn. If hard to turn with thumb and forefinger, you have other problems like something jamming the spin basket, or dragging brake shoes.
mountaindeb  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 7:47:28 AM(UTC)
mountaindeb

:)thanks to your website I fixed the direct drive coupling on my kenmore washer in about 30 mimutes.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply