Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
terriahome  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 1:01:59 PM(UTC)
terriahome

Groups: Registered

My Maytag MAV9600EWW washer had two problems: 1. water in the leak pan (about an inch), and 2. the washer filled but didn't agitate, spin, or drain the last time I used it (Friday), but the timer went through the cycle.

Took safety precautions-- unplugged machine and shutoff water supply.

Problem 1. I traced back the water leak to the cold water inlet hose: will replace both hot and cold hoses. That should solve that problem.

Problem 2. I bailed out as much water as I could. I checked the lid switch (appears to be working properly). After removing the front panel, I visually checked the water pump and hose. I didn't see any obstructions and the drain hose was full of water. House drain is clear. I suspect the drive belt may be loose.

Question: Should the Auto wash motor (bottom left as you look at the washer) be stationary in position or is it supposed to be loose enough to slide on its feet about an inch?

What else should I be looking for?

Thanks for answering this post.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 1:28:40 PM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Have you tried it in all the cycles?
terriahome  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 2:15:59 PM(UTC)
terriahome

I was on my way out to get the hoses when I saw your post. Can't try the agitate, but spin and drain worked fine now on all three cycles.

I did clean the contacts above the fill inlet; the hot water single, female electrical connector (just above #2 on the frame diagram) was corroded so I replaced that connector; the male side just needed cleaning.

Off to get hoses. Will post after I test them.
terriahome  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:32:40 AM(UTC)
terriahome

Installed hoses; water leak solved.

Machine agitated, spun, and drained on all three cycles. The water pump was making noise like something small is in it. Will check/service pump or order new one if needed.
magician59  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:01:11 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Glad to see you're working through it...You are saving a ton of money in service calls and labor by doing the repairs yourself.
terriahome  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:33:25 AM(UTC)
terriahome

Thanks for your help!

Hardest part was draining as much water from drain pump. Aside from the o-ring seal not seating properly, all is well with the pump (no socks, no pebbles....).

Worked backwards to make sure there were no other blockages. The white filter ring on top of the outer drum was gunked up. Gently cleaned it with old toothbushes, small bottle brush and a little water. The bottle brush brought up all kinds of gunk that was stopping up the holes. Gone from about 50% blocked to about 95% open. This should help with water circulation in the drum.

My machine sounds like new! And I will keep an eye on the inlet valve to make sure the contact doesn't corrode again.

BTW, the connector I replaced was in a pack of 10; $1.18 + tax; hoses $9.99 ea plus tax. Having my washing machine working again.....yah, yah, priceless!

:)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply