Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
markham  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2008 8:11:00 AM(UTC)
markham

Groups: Registered

My washer makes a really loud roaring sound during the spin cycle (especially during high speed spin). :eek:

To me it sounds like a bearing that is going/gone bad. In looking at the diagram online, the only bearings would seem to be in the transmission assembly... unless I'm missing something.

All functions work correctly but I know that with that sound, there's a component failure coming soon. I have to wonder if it's worthwhile replacing the transmission on a 6 y.o. washer and waiting for the next thing to break.

Thoughts, ideas and your experience would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2008 9:30:26 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

First you may wan to check the inner tub for something sitcking in one of the holes. This can make a loud roaring noise.
Nat
markham  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2008 10:01:58 AM(UTC)
markham

There's nothing in the tub... I just ran a quick cycle with the front panel off so I could watch and listen better.
Everything is normal during the wash & drain cycles.
As soon as the whole transmission starts spinning for the spin cycle, the roaring starts.
libertyappl  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2008 10:15:00 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Check the tub bearing part #AP2045288.
If the roar seems to becoming from the tranny, then a replacement is about the only thing to fix it. Part #AP2046402.
Here is the breakdown for you Model WPSE7003A0WW
Nat
markham  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2008 3:10:32 PM(UTC)
markham

Okay...
The lower bearing on the transmission close to the pulley is toast.

I have the left-hand threaded nut off of the inner tub, it was a tough one!

The hub of the inner tub is soking up WD40 right now, does it unscrew like the retainer nut or just lift out?

Thanks
Drags1998  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2008 4:33:19 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

Just lift it off,
markham  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 6:39:05 PM(UTC)
markham

Wanted to follow-up on this one...

The root of my problem was a bad tub seal which cost about $9 to replace. It was letting water drip slowly down the transmission shaft and on/in to the ball bearing. The old seal pulled out of the plastic outer tub by hand and the new one pushed in just as easily. I glued the new seal into the tub with silicone hoping for better odds of sealing.

GE of course, only sells the complete transmission assembly, no component parts. Since the only transmission problem I had was the bearing, I decided to attempt to replace just the bearing. A local auto parts store found a bearing that was very close in size and it cost $11 rather than $200 for the whole transmission. It fit the transmission mount plate, but I had to use a grinding stone to enlarge the inside diameter by about .010" for it to fit over the transmission shaft.

After getting everything put back together, it seems to be working great. The roaring sound during the spin cycle is gone and the machine is quieter than it has been for a long time.

Hope my experience helps somebody else!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply