Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sapte24  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 6:02:37 PM(UTC)
sapte24

Groups: Registered

I work at a camp in Texas. Our water is provided by a company called Monarch, and is hard water that leaves a residue on counters, showers, etc. We have several washers around the camp, and all of them will sometimes bleach out clothing, leaving light or discolored blotches. Although I dont notice damage to my clothes every time, it is still very frustrating.

Recently I have started an experiment where I wash 1 black sock without detergent (or bleach). This sock is damaged every time!

What the heck is going on?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:36:49 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I don't know but I am guessing that the water company has over chlorinated the water for sanitary purposes. Normally most of the chrlorine put in water will evaporate out, but sounds like that is not happening in your case.

Putting a good water filter that specifically removes chlorine on the water lines will probably solve your problem
denman  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:35:11 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hopefully this water supply is just used for washing clothes etc. and is not used as drinking water.

If sidfink43's comment is correct that it could be the water supply then chlorine levels that are high enough to bleach clothes are basically poison!!!

You should be able to smell the chlorine at levels that high.

Something that does not make sense is that you get blotches on the clothing.
If the chlorine high in the water I would have thought that the bleaching effect would have been even over the piece of clothing.

May be possible that the chlorine is not being mixed into the water supply properly.

This could be a dangerous situation so I would definitely investigate further.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
sapte24  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 10:39:15 AM(UTC)
sapte24

Groups: Registered

The problem does not seem to be in the water. I will often put a sock in my sink and fill it with water, then let it sit, just to test the water. When this is done, the clothing is never damaged. Thus, I am pretty sure the problem is in the washer itself. Is there any way that bleach or similar products can get trapped in the machine and slowly released over several washes?
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 2:51:10 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Your first post said that all of your washers experienced this problem, so while it is possible some bleach residue is in one washer, it seems unlikely it it is several. However, post the model number of your machines and let's see what we are dealing with.

Do you know for sure that someone isn't adding bleach and not telling you?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply