Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
brockner75  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:57:11 PM(UTC)
brockner75

Groups: Registered

Is there anyway to check the wiring harness to see if there is a failure or short in the wires?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 10:49:01 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: brockner75 Go to Quoted Post
Is there anyway to check the wiring harness to see if there is a failure or short in the wires?

Brockner,

Yes you can check a wire harness for a failure.

You'll need a multi meter.

Part number: AP3440648
Part number: AP3440648

And a wiring diagram comes in real handy.

What seems to be wrong with the machine ?

:cool: :cool: :cool:
brockner75  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 11:15:46 AM(UTC)
brockner75

The machine has been giving an error code, 'hr'. In my manual it states that this is a heater relay failure, and suggest replacing the control board. I purchased a new control board and the machine worked great for about 3 loads of laundry. It then started giving the same error code with the new control board. I have gotten another new control board but I want to make sure there is not an underlying problem. (I spoke with one of the tech people there and he suggested checking other possible failure points.) I dont know what else to check. any suggetions would be greatly appreciated.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 3:49:05 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

The machine has been giving an error code, 'hr'. In my manual it states that this is a heater relay failure, and suggest replacing the control board. I purchased a new control board and the machine worked great for about 3 loads of laundry. It then started giving the same error code with the new control board. I have gotten another new control board but I want to make sure there is not an underlying problem. (I spoke with one of the tech people there and he suggested checking other possible failure points.) I dont know what else to check. any suggetions would be greatly appreciated.

Brockner,

I understand now,

I would reccomend you check the water temp thermistor , heater and wiring.

On connector CN3 at the main control board, with the connector off check across pin #3 and pin#6, you should read 13,000 ohms at room temperature.

You should also remove the lower panel and visually check the heater assembly and wiring for a circuit, corrosion and damaged wires.

Here's the Technical Data Sheet for your unit, sounds like that will be more helpful.

http://servicematters.co...ibrary/docs/16026882.pdf

Good Luck,
brockner75  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 4:41:46 PM(UTC)
brockner75

Thank you so much for the information. I will check it out. You have been so much more helpful the the Maytag customer service. I greatly appreciate to quick reply and knowledgeable response. Again thank you so much.
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 11, 2010 5:39:24 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thank you so much for the information. I will check it out. You have been so much more helpful the the Maytag customer service. I greatly appreciate to quick reply and knowledgeable response. Again thank you so much.

Brock,

You're quite welcome,

Something else, I just thought about it.

When you start to check the thermistor and heater, You may want to remove the assembly and check the heater element condition for warpage, calcium, detergent build up, etc.

Thanks Again,

:) :) :cool: :cool:
brockner75  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:51:02 PM(UTC)
brockner75

Ok, so I had the thermostate checked when I had a repair guy out. He said it checked out fine. That was a month ago, before I had the new control board. I recieved the new control board, worked ok for a few loads. Then gave the same 'hr' ( heater relay failure) code. Got another new control board, I checked out the heating element visualy before I put the new board in, ( it did have some build up on it, hard water build up?), put in the new control board and same thing as last time. Worked ok for 3 loads and then gives the same 'hr' code. im thinkin it isnt the control board any more, maybe a bad heating element? None of the wiring harnesses looked like they had any damage or corrosion on them. I dont know what else to look at besides, buying a new washer. also what is the heater kit, and what is the thermistor ptc? Im thinking one of these parts is going to have to be purchased but i want to make sure i get the correct one.
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 5:31:37 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Ok, so I had the thermostate checked when I had a repair guy out. He said it checked out fine. That was a month ago, before I had the new control board. I recieved the new control board, worked ok for a few loads. Then gave the same 'hr' ( heater relay failure) code. Got another new control board, I checked out the heating element visualy before I put the new board in, ( it did have some build up on it, hard water build up?), put in the new control board and same thing as last time. Worked ok for 3 loads and then gives the same 'hr' code. im thinkin it isnt the control board any more, maybe a bad heating element? None of the wiring harnesses looked like they had any damage or corrosion on them. I dont know what else to look at besides, buying a new washer. also what is the heater kit, and what is the thermistor ptc? Im thinking one of these parts is going to have to be purchased but i want to make sure i get the correct one.

Brock,

Yes,

Purchase the heater kit:

Part number: AP4008853
Part number: AP4008853

It will have both, the heater and the thermistor, and you'll have them both coverred, and as long as your harness is OK, should solve the problem.

A thermistor, is basically a "solid state" thermostat.

It has a set resistance at a certain temperature, and as heat increases, the resistance changes. In your case it activates the heater relay on the control board, until the resistance changes and the relay opens and turns the heater off.

Now a days, control boards are looking for resistances from thermistors 24 hours a day, in some instances, and they also look for a rise or fall in resistance within a specific time period(seconds), if the change is not within a certain range and time period , you get a fail code.

That's whats happenning in your washer, and leads me to believe you either have a loose connection or a weak heater element.

brockner75  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 6:03:15 AM(UTC)
brockner75

Ok. Thank you for the quick response. I will get that ordered today. I will let you know if that fixes the problem. Again thank you for all your help. :) It is very much appreciated.
Joe / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 7:42:43 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Ok. Thank you for the quick response. I will get that ordered today. I will let you know if that fixes the problem. Again thank you for all your help. :) It is very much appreciated.

You're welcome.

Drop us a line when you've got it going.
:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply