Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Katie1011  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 6, 2010 2:24:04 AM(UTC)
Katie1011

Groups: Registered

I'm thinking this may be a common problem because I've read a few very similar threads. I've tried some fixes but have yet to actually fix anything...

I have a GE Profile Top-Loading Washer that won't spin or agitate after being hit by a tiny lightning strike. This strike also blew the bottom element in my water heater, but all other appliances and electronics were unharmed. The timer continues to count down through the cycle like it thinks everything is working. It fills and drains. Had a repair guy come out and he diagnosed a bad motor. Wish I'd put a little more thought into it before spending $170 (which was actually a good price) and installing the new motor. Now I'm pretty sure I have 2 working motors and still no working washer.

To help the matter, when I called back the repair shop after the new motor had no effect the repair guy asked if I installed the motor "All by yourself" and then he informed me that I "must've installed it wrong or bought the wrong model" but he would be willing to come back out if I would buy another new motor from him (cost of part - $380) because he was guaranteeing that I had burned up the new motor I had installed. Generous offer, right?

My first thought was the lid switch, but bypassed this to no effect. Plus, wouldn't the lid switch stop the timer countdown as well as the agitator?

Everything inside the front panel looks great. Nothing is leaking, dripping or oozing. The belt is clean and in good condition. There are no new noises - no grinding or screeching.

I've read a few things about a flashing LED on the motor, but I can't locate an LED on either the connected or disconnected motor. No blinking lights could mean bad fuse, but wouldn't a bad fuse stop the motor entirely? The motor is still running the water pump, just not the agitator. Since lightning is the culprit this could easily be a fried wire somewhere, but there's power going to the motor so I'm confused.

Please help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 6, 2010 2:11:34 PM(UTC)
applianceman

The motor doesn’t have to run to pump the water out the pump is separate. I believe you have a bad fuse. This page will show were the fuse is located HydroWave GE Washer Repair Guide
Katie1011  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 6, 2010 4:35:44 PM(UTC)
Katie1011

Applianceman - you are a true repair guru! Thank you!! I'm out of town, but will replace the fuse as soon as I get back Thursday! To be honest, you could've told me to hop on one foot and cluck like a chicken to repair the washer and I'm at the point that it would've tried it :)
Katie1011  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:10:34 PM(UTC)
Katie1011

It was the fuse! Brilliant deduction, Applianceman! I truly can't thank you enough!!
applianceman  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:21:18 PM(UTC)
applianceman

I am glad I could help!

Call the repairman and tell him what you did to repair the problem. He should be aware of the fuse. I assume he doesn’t or he would have checked it first. He will appreciate the info unless he is the type that thinks he knows everything (bad for a appliance tech, we always learn new things).
Katie1011  
#6 Posted: : Monday, September 13, 2010 2:18:55 PM(UTC)
Katie1011

I called the repairman because I was so excited that it was such a quick fix - not to mention the excitement of having a working washer again, but he informed me that the fuse was not a permanent fix and I'm still burning up the brand new motor every time I run it. Amazing. Thank you again for your help!
applianceman  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 6:38:11 PM(UTC)
applianceman

I will not say that, this will never happen but I disagree with him. You should always try the fuse first. If the motor continues to blown the fuse then the motor will have to be replaced. I have fixed lots of these washers with the fuse and yes a few have turned out to be a bad motor. On the ones that turned out to be the motor the fuse blew again as soon as the motor turned back on (obviously bad motor).

I would say in your case the strom took out the fuse without damaging the motor. I hope it continues to work for you!

Glad I could help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply