Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DFitzgerald  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2008 1:04:30 PM(UTC)
DFitzgerald

Groups: Registered

We have a Whirlpool "Calypso" washer that snags the loops on our towels. The loops get caught between the main disk of the washplate and the flexible plastic ring that is attached to the outside edge of the washplate. The part number for the washplate is 8318489 on the schematics that I downloaded from Whirlpool. I called Whirlpool and they said that the current part number is 285911, but they couldn't tell me if the washplate had been redesigned so that it wouldn't snag the towels when the part number was changed. The washer works fine otherwise, and since I don't know if the new part will fix the towel snagging, I hesitate to disassemble the washer and replace the washplate if it won't fix the problem.

Does anyone know anything about this problem?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jama Beasley  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 25, 2009 6:31:37 AM(UTC)
Jama Beasley

I was hoping to find YOUR answer to this question. My Calypso has the same problem. I paid for a technician to come and diagnose the problem and he said "Replace the entire washer plate." The estimate was over $200 so I did not do it - instead, I just use old, ugly thread-pulled towels, until they rip apart. Have you found a solution or fixed the problem?
DFitzgerald  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2009 3:33:18 PM(UTC)
DFitzgerald

No, we decided that the towels were snagged anyway, and we really didn't need to spend any extra money repairing the washer, so we might as well just put up with it until we decide to replace the towels.
Jama Beasley  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2009 6:36:23 PM(UTC)
Jama Beasley

It is very upsetting to know that this machine "came" with this ticking time bomb AND that we owner's were not given the opportunity to have them replaced under a general recall action. I made up my mind that the next time it quite, OUT it goes and I will replace it with an old fashioned, can't kill it, agitator machine. There are too many existing problems with the new front loading machines and the Cabrio and the Calypso are just riddled with problems. Consumer Reports recommends an ESTATE brand for about $400 - maybe that helps you, too.
DFitzgerald  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:32:25 PM(UTC)
DFitzgerald

Originally Posted by: Jama Beasley Go to Quoted Post
It is very upsetting to know that this machine "came" with this ticking time bomb AND that we owner's were not given the opportunity to have them replaced under a general recall action. I made up my mind that the next time it quite, OUT it goes and I will replace it with an old fashioned, can't kill it, agitator machine. There are too many existing problems with the new front loading machines and the Cabrio and the Calypso are just riddled with problems. Consumer Reports recommends an ESTATE brand for about $400 - maybe that helps you, too.

Just thought I'd let you know, the electronic control boards on the Calypso got "fried" and it would not respond to any inputs. Couldn't even turn it off, had to unplug it! We were quoted over $350.00 for parts alone. Out it went... replaced by a standard top-loader Kenmore that we found at Sears for just over $450.00. We won't be considering any "High-Tech" Washers and/or Dryers ever again.
margo56  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 1, 2011 6:44:46 AM(UTC)
margo56

Yes, I've had the same problem now for years, ever since I purchased my Whirlpool Calypso set. I thought the dryer was the problem, that perhaps I was drying the towels at too hot a setting, as one clerk at a department store suggested. I dried them at low (which took forever) and the towels were still snagged. Then I thought I was purchasing towels that were too inexpensive, so I upped for expensive towels. You can imagine my horror when these too snagged. After reading this blog, I realize it's the washing machine! Why doesn't Whirlpool stand behind their product and issue a recall? This is uncalled for. . .
DFitzgerald  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:58:12 AM(UTC)
DFitzgerald

Originally Posted by: margo56 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, I've had the same problem now for years, ever since I purchased my Whirlpool Calypso set. I thought the dryer was the problem, that perhaps I was drying the towels at too hot a setting, as one clerk at a department store suggested. I dried them at low (which took forever) and the towels were still snagged. Then I thought I was purchasing towels that were too inexpensive, so I upped for expensive towels. You can imagine my horror when these too snagged. After reading this blog, I realize it's the washing machine! Why doesn't Whirlpool stand behind their product and issue a recall? This is uncalled for. . .

Once that Calypso was replaced, we got new towels and have been snag-free ever since!:)
margo56  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:21:28 AM(UTC)
margo56

Curious: What did model/brand did you replace with? Thanks.
DFitzgerald  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 6:04:11 AM(UTC)
DFitzgerald

It is a Kenmore that has an "extra large" capacity and was on sale at the time. I really don't know the model, sorry.
David F  
#10 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 8:13:12 AM(UTC)
David F

I do not know if it is any help to anyone with a 'Collapso' but the link below shows what the new and old washplates for the Cabrio and the equivalent Maytags look like: -
https://secured.whirlpoo...9ae8e/$FILE/L8178694.pdf
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply