Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cylon1  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2010 1:10:24 PM(UTC)
cylon1

Groups: Registered

Hello

I have a Fridigaire stacked top loading washer that will not drain. It is about 10 years old I think. I made the mistake of putting in a few bath mats in a wash cycle. When I came back, the timer was finished but the tub was still filled with soap water. I tried to start up the rinse cycle to drain the tub, but it kept making a clicking/grinding noise, like something was blocking a gear or pump - no water would drain.

I bailed out the tub by hand.

Any suggestions? My thought is maybe the drain pump is clogged with maybe coins or lint.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2010 1:35:05 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cylon1 Go to Quoted Post
Hello

I have a Fridigaire stacked top loading washer that will not drain. It is about 10 years old I think. I made the mistake of putting in a few bath mats in a wash cycle. When I came back, the timer was finished but the tub was still filled with soap water. I tried to start up the rinse cycle to drain the tub, but it kept making a clicking/grinding noise, like something was blocking a gear or pump - no water would drain.

I bailed out the tub by hand.

Any suggestions? My thought is maybe the drain pump is clogged with maybe coins or lint.

You're probably right, the pump is probably clogged, that seems to occur when you wash bath mats, often.

You can access the drain pump, by removing the 2 screws at the bottom of the front panel, push down on the panel to release it from the washer cabinet.

Of course you need to unplug the power cord or turn off the power to the laundry center, first.

You have an electrically powerred drain pump, located on the left side of the bottom frame(base assembly).
Remove the hoses and check and clear any debris in the hoses and drain pump.

That may be the whole problem you're deling with.

:) :) :)
cylon1  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:27:40 AM(UTC)
cylon1

Groups: Registered

Thanks Joe

Tried to put the washer into a spin cycle to just see if the last bit of water would drain, and it makes a 'whirring' sound, like something is rubbing, or a bearing out of place.

Going to try and take the front off tonight and take a look.

It's a tricky one, since it's inside a very small cupboard in a condo bathroom. Not a lot of access room.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:47:15 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cylon1 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Joe

Tried to put the washer into a spin cycle to just see if the last bit of water would drain, and it makes a 'whirring' sound, like something is rubbing, or a bearing out of place.

Going to try and take the front off tonight and take a look.

It's a tricky one, since it's inside a very small cupboard in a condo bathroom. Not a lot of access room.

Cylon1,

I've been there several times (hundreds) myself.

Sure sounds like something is in the pump.

Hopefully theres no damage to the impeller and you'll be fine after you clear the debris.

Good Luck,

:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply