Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Geetch  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2008 5:04:23 PM(UTC)
Geetch

Groups: Registered

Our Whirlpool Duet washer will fully drain, but after the cycle is complete, water will start to appear in the bottom of the tub. If the clothes are still in the tub, they will of course absorb the water causing them to smell.

The pump seems to work fine. It pumps all of the water out, but then after a while water will flow back into the tub.

I have cleaned out the drain filter which didn't help. I suspected that the water that remains in the drain hose was somehow able to flow back into the tub. I thought that maybe the hose between the tub and pump which has that ball in it might be to blame. I removed it and cleaned it thoroughly thinking that maybe the ball was dirty and not allowing for a tight seal to prevent water from backing up into the tub.

I thought I had the problem solved, but it's back. Could it be the pump even though it pumps all of the water out? Does the pump also prevent water from flowing back into the tub? If it's not the ball thingy (eco-valve?) or the pump---then what could it possibly be?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jdappl07  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2008 5:54:15 PM(UTC)
jdappl07

Groups: Senior Expert

check and see if drain hose is down in the drain to far should only be down 6 inchs as long as it isn't passed the pee trap
Geetch  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:31:20 PM(UTC)
Geetch

The drain hose is not down too far. It is the type with the hook that won't let it go down too far. I'm sure that the water is not siphoning back from the drain pipe. It is flowing back from the washer drain hose. It's always the same volume of water--the amount that is left in the hose that can't make it up to the drain pipe after the pump shuts off. Rather than just staying in the hose until the next drain cycle, it slowly seeps back through the pump and up into the drum.
jdappl07  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:40:30 PM(UTC)
jdappl07

Groups: Senior Expert

take the bottom panel off and drain the drain pump in to a pan check the catch all for gunk build up. If it isn't that or the drain pipe the only other place water can come from is the water valve
jholmes  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 9:42:32 AM(UTC)
jholmes

Please see this article (with pictures) that will tell you how to fix the inlet water valve and stop the problem.
Need to buy the part (# is provided) and then replace.
Out.
Water in leaking into tub overnight - FixYa
Geetch  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 5:16:39 PM(UTC)
Geetch

Originally Posted by: jholmes Go to Quoted Post
Please see this article (with pictures) that will tell you how to fix the inlet water valve and stop the problem.
Need to buy the part (# is provided) and then replace.
Out.
Water in leaking into tub overnight - FixYa

Thanks jholmes! This indeed appears to have been the problem. I can't completely confirm that this solved it yet, but I bought the new inlet valve and just installed it. I then tested the old valve out of the machine by putting the water line back on and turning on the water. I tested both sides. The hot water side did not leak, but the cold water valve leaked--so I'm confident that this was the problem. Thanks again!

Edited to add that after several weeks of use I can now confirm that this fixed the problem!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply