Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DJS  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2010 9:10:03 PM(UTC)
DJS

Groups: Registered

I just noticed that the clothes mover portion of the agitator is no longer turning during the wash cycle. The bottom agitator is moving properly. I can spin the clothes mover freely in either direction by hand. The washing machine is otherwise working properly.

Is this likely to be the dogs or the spline ? How would I tell ? Will the dogs kit take care of the problem, or do I need to replace the clothes mover ?

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2010 11:54:14 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DJS Go to Quoted Post
I just noticed that the clothes mover portion of the agitator is no longer turning during the wash cycle. The bottom agitator is moving properly. I can spin the clothes mover freely in either direction by hand. The washing machine is otherwise working properly.

Is this likely to be the dogs or the spline ? How would I tell ? Will the dogs kit take care of the problem, or do I need to replace the clothes mover ?

Thanks

Take a look at this diagram. Agitator, basket and tub replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL LA7800XTW0 | AppliancePartsPros.com

I usually replace parts 19 and 22, but a kit like no. 18 part no. AP3138838
works pretty good. It all depends on how much wear you find when you disassemble it.
DJS  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2010 7:23:24 AM(UTC)
DJS

Thank you for your help. One more question: with a 20 year old machine, is there a likelihood that I will also need to replace the agitator bolt washer when I reassemble it, or does the washer typically remain usable when it is that old?
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2010 4:01:40 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DJS Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for your help. One more question: with a 20 year old machine, is there a likelihood that I will also need to replace the agitator bolt washer when I reassemble it, or does the washer typically remain usable when it is that old?

Unless the bolt is very rusty, it should be fine. Good luck.
JBrown  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:06:18 AM(UTC)
JBrown

Great info on this issue. Exact same problem here. Could one of you post a little help taking this thing apart? I got the softener basket out easily, but I'm having trouble getting the rest apart. Afraid I'll break the plastic.

Thanks in advance.
JBrown  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 11:06:51 AM(UTC)
JBrown

Found another post dealing with this. Guess step on it and pull seemed too simple at the time. :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply