Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rkersh409  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:15:46 PM(UTC)
rkersh409

Groups: Registered

I am having trouble with my Kenmore washer. With no cloths in the tub I put it on spin cycle and hear a grinding noise. As the tub starts to spin the grinding gets louder. Then when it gets up to speed for a split second the agitator will stop and make a loud pop. It will do this every 5 to 10 seconds. Then when I lift up on the lid switch it will come to a stop. Then I am not able to turn the agitator by hand. But if I start the spin cycle again and stop it before it gets up to speed and can turn it by hand. But feel what I can only describe as stripped gears. When I turn it so far it will lock into place again and cant turn it anymore.

I pulled the tranny and turned the coupler by hand while holding the shaft and the shaft would not turn. I turned the shaft and felt the gear stripped feeling again.

I pulled the gear case apart and saw nothing wrong with anything. I pulled the shaft out and turned the agitator cam by hand. It would spread apart but then get stuck open. Almost like the hill on the cam has a flat part for it to get stuck on.

When you turn the agitator cams are they supposed to spring back closed when you let go? Or can anyone give me any pointers?

Thanks,
Robert
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2010 12:07:06 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rkersh409 Go to Quoted Post
I am having trouble with my Kenmore washer. With no cloths in the tub I put it on spin cycle and hear a grinding noise. As the tub starts to spin the grinding gets louder. Then when it gets up to speed for a split second the agitator will stop and make a loud pop. It will do this every 5 to 10 seconds. Then when I lift up on the lid switch it will come to a stop. Then I am not able to turn the agitator by hand. But if I start the spin cycle again and stop it before it gets up to speed and can turn it by hand. But feel what I can only describe as stripped gears. When I turn it so far it will lock into place again and cant turn it anymore.

I pulled the tranny and turned the coupler by hand while holding the shaft and the shaft would not turn. I turned the shaft and felt the gear stripped feeling again.

I pulled the gear case apart and saw nothing wrong with anything. I pulled the shaft out and turned the agitator cam by hand. It would spread apart but then get stuck open. Almost like the hill on the cam has a flat part for it to get stuck on.

When you turn the agitator cams are they supposed to spring back closed when you let go? Or can anyone give me any pointers?

Thanks,
Robert

You need a new gearcase. I know it looks like you can just replace this part or that one, but its going to cost you more in the long run than its worth. I've rebuilt a few and its not an easy or cheap job.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply