Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
all10thumbs  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2010 6:36:25 PM(UTC)
all10thumbs

Groups: Registered

I need to know how to remove the timer knob. I did it once before, a long time ago, and don't recall it being difficult once I found out the secret. The timer knob just spins (both ways), the guard locks onto the dial but spins freely. The dial can be turned in order to select the cycle & start the washer. I thought the knob just unscrewed, as the replacement has threads. Do I have to take the back off? Don't recall doing that before...
Thanks for any help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:04:41 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: all10thumbs Go to Quoted Post
I need to know how to remove the timer knob. I did it once before, a long time ago, and don't recall it being difficult once I found out the secret. The timer knob just spins (both ways), the guard locks onto the dial but spins freely. The dial can be turned in order to select the cycle & start the washer. I thought the knob just unscrewed, as the replacement has threads. Do I have to take the back off? Don't recall doing that before...
Thanks for any help.

You should be able to push the knob in and then unscrew it. It has right hand thread. If that won't work then the timer is broken internally. I've only seen that about two times in the last 20 years.
all10thumbs  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2010 11:21:28 AM(UTC)
all10thumbs

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
You should be able to push the knob in and then unscrew it. It has right hand thread. If that won't work then the timer is broken internally. I've only seen that about two times in the last 20 years.

Thanks for the encouraging word. I have tried pushing the knob in and unscrewing it (both directions) with no luck.:( The timer still works, but from what you are saying it sounds like the bolt or what it is connected to is broken inside the timer, right? Which means a whole timer replacement? Is that difficult for a diyer? Thanks in advance for your help. (FYI I am relatively handy despite my user name!)
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2010 2:29:42 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: all10thumbs Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the encouraging word. I have tried pushing the knob in and unscrewing it (both directions) with no luck.:( The timer still works, but from what you are saying it sounds like the bolt or what it is connected to is broken inside the timer, right? Which means a whole timer replacement? Is that difficult for a diyer? Thanks in advance for your help. (FYI I am relatively handy despite my user name!)

Washer timer replacement is one of the easiest repairs. On this model there are two screws that you remove, then the control panel can be lifted up and swung backwards (it has its own hinges). You may have to try and hold onto the timer shaft with a pair of pliers so that you can get the knob off. Then under the knob and dial you will find two more screws. After the timer is free of the control panel, just press the release on the wiring harness plug and pull it straight off the timer. Reverse to reassemble. Good luck.
all10thumbs  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:09:49 PM(UTC)
all10thumbs

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
Washer timer replacement is one of the easiest repairs. On this model there are two screws that you remove, then the control panel can be lifted up and swung backwards (it has its own hinges). You may have to try and hold onto the timer shaft with a pair of pliers so that you can get the knob off. Then under the knob and dial you will find two more screws. After the timer is free of the control panel, just press the release on the wiring harness plug and pull it straight off the timer. Reverse to reassemble. Good luck.

Thanks! Appreciate your expertise!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply