Appliance Repair Forum

Appliance Repair Forum (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/)
-   Washer Repair (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/washer-repair/)
-   -   Squealing Violently During Wash Cycle (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/washer-repair/110188-squealing-violently-during-wash-cycle.html)

danay17@sbcglobal.net 07-30-2010 03:53 PM

Squealing Violently During Wash Cycle
 
Washer sounds like belt squealing and surging/hesitating during wash cycle.Also tub seems to rumble violently.Loads have been reduced to half capacity to minimize wear/tear.Never attempted Washer Repairs,but I am able to.

applianceman 07-30-2010 09:49 PM

The most likely cause for this is a problem GE has with the apron that holds the washer tub up will sag down. When this happens the bottom of the motor will hit the bottom of the washer. Take the front off the washer and fill it with water to see if the bottom of the motor hits the bottom of the washer. If this is the case give GE a call they should fix it for free they have been doing it every time I call on behalf of a customer they even gave one of my customers a new washer.

This page talks about the sagging apron issue GE HydroWave Noisy Washer Repair Guide

danay17@sbcglobal.net 08-02-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applianceman (Post 248210)
The most likely cause for this is a problem GE has with the apron that holds the washer tub up will sag down. When this happens the bottom of the motor will hit the bottom of the washer. Take the front off the washer and fill it with water to see if the bottom of the motor hits the bottom of the washer. If this is the case give GE a call they should fix it for free they have been doing it every time I call on behalf of a customer they even gave one of my customers a new washer.

This page talks about the sagging apron issue GE HydroWave Noisy Washer Repair Guide

Confirmed tub sag.Drive Pulley badly nicked on bottom.Is Bracket on bottom supposed2keep tub centered&stabililzed?It is NOT attached2anything,although it appears it should be.Contacted GE-no techs available,could only schedule service appt.8/3Tuesday between1&5.Service(18004322737-Loretta) $100+parts&labor.ModelWJRR4170GOWW.SerialGR170299G .2 1/2yrs.old.Cell#6502437390/Dana.I appreciate your time.Thank You!
I stated possible defect&got no satisfaction.
Are you able2assist?

danay17@sbcglobal.net 08-02-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danay17@sbcglobal.net (Post 249738)
Confirmed tub sag.Drive Pulley badly nicked on bottom.Is Bracket on bottom supposed2keep tub centered&stabililzed?It is NOT attached2anything,although it appears it should be.Contacted GE-no techs available,could only schedule service appt.8/3Tuesday between1&5.Service(18004322737-Loretta) $100+parts&labor.ModelWJRR4170GOWW.SerialGR170299G .2 1/2yrs.old.Cell#6502437390/Dana.I appreciate your time.Thank You!
I stated possible defect&got no satisfaction.
Are you able2assist?

Further research suggests Bracket4Shipping Rods.I think Floor facing bottom bracket out of center,got outside of upward facing bracket probably during Heavy/out of balance load.Causing bottom of Pulley2grind bracket.Repositioned in center.Considering putting back together and doing a load...

danay17@sbcglobal.net 08-02-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danay17@sbcglobal.net (Post 249745)
Further research suggests Bracket4Shipping Rods.I think Floor facing bottom bracket out of center,got outside of upward facing bracket probably during Heavy/out of balance load.Causing bottom of Pulley2grind bracket.Repositioned in center.Considering putting back together and doing a load...

filled w/ water only-same problem.now also leaking water out bottom.

applianceman 08-02-2010 09:11 PM

If the shipping bracket is hitting the bottom of the washer you do have a sagging apron. GE will most likely fix it for free if you push a little. This is a factory defect not just something that is broken.

Where is the leak coming from?

applianceman 08-02-2010 09:14 PM

Also check to see if the washer spin basket spins during wash. This will make the bracket to get hung on one another and it will also cause the apron to bend worse than it would under normal operation.

If this is the case you most likely have a bad sifter coil. You can test it by checking for continuity on the wires that go to the sifter in the center of the washer.

danay17@sbcglobal.net 08-03-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applianceman (Post 250010)
Also check to see if the washer spin basket spins during wash. This will make the bracket to get hung on one another and it will also cause the apron to bend worse than it would under normal operation.

If this is the case you most likely have a bad sifter coil. You can test it by checking for continuity on the wires that go to the sifter in the center of the washer.

GE Tech gave repair price of$403-apron not covered(it is starting2sag)&Shifter mode is bad.
My model#not covered4apron-$97
Shift mode would include new motor$130
Labor$155
Even if Apron covered,which I would have to beg for, still over $200 for a $480machine.Water leak coming from overflow when sloshing.
Will bite the bullet&purchase new machine.

applianceman 08-03-2010 06:48 PM

I can understand them not giving you the sifter but the apron is a down right factory defect, an embarrassing on at that. Unless they stopped each time I have seen this (in warranty or out) I give costumer relations a call myself and they send the customer the part free of charge.

I told someone at GE that if this apron thing wasn’t fixed I just couldn’t sell GE washers anymore. They ensured me that the new ones didn’t have that problem (this was coming from someone that would know).

I know you have a bad sifter that they most likely will not cover and I don’t feel that they should if it is out of warranty but it is sad that they will not cover the apron even if you opt to buy a new washer.
I am not trying to throw GE under the bus (I have always liked GE appliances) but the sagging apron issue is terrible.


If I were you I would call GE customer relations and complain they may even give you a discount on a new one.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17