Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
1jpaulhome  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2010 10:04:42 PM(UTC)
1jpaulhome

Groups: Registered

Washer woorks well, just squeeks slightly when is stops spinning or finishes wash cycle...like it needs a little oil or belt or break is too tight? Any insight?

Also does this model have a "buzzer" to tell you when wash is complete? Thanks a whole bunch!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:21:27 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I'm guessing here, but I think the noise is coming from your brake assembly. Not an easy part to get to.

And the parts diagram doesn't show a buzzer.
Joe / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:09:48 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1jpaulhome Go to Quoted Post
Washer woorks well, just squeeks slightly when is stops spinning or finishes wash cycle...like it needs a little oil or belt or break is too tight? Any insight?

Also does this model have a "buzzer" to tell you when wash is complete? Thanks a whole bunch!

First thing, No, this unit would not have an end of cycle buzzer.
The squeak at the end of the spin cycle(s)is the brake rotor contacting the brake stator(like noisy brakes on a car).

This is a "dry brake" assembly and should not be lubricated(though some technicians do.)
It will require a special tool to dismantle the brake stator rotor assembly, and sanding the pads and stator with emory cloth solves the noise issue, as long as they are not too highly glazed. Otherwise replacement parts are required.

Some technicians use 2 screws to remove the stator, instead of the tool,

If you wish to attempt the repair yourself:

Unplug the power cord and remove hoses, and lay washer on it's back , or raise the front of the unit high enough to access the belt and pulley assembly under the unit.

Remove belt and plastic cap on the center of the drive pulley on the gearcase. carefully remove clip, cam , washers and pulley, It's best to line them up in order so ease the process when you reinstall them.

Remove 2 of the screws from the stator assembly(the stainless steel ring, has 10 to 12 screws holding the ring to the support assembly)and head to the hardware store and purchase 2 screws with the same threads only 2 inches long.

Install the longer screws and remove all the others, after installing the 2 .

Evenly remove the 2 screws until tension on the brake rotor spring(200 lbs psi) is released.

When the stator and rotor are removed, use emory cloth the sand the flat area of the stator ( you will see where the brake pads contact the stator). remove the rotor and sand the pad until all the glaze is removed, add a small amount of grease(a light coating) to the splines in the center of the rotor, and reverse procedure to reinstall and adjust cams.

It sounds like more than it is, and will probably take longer than the 20 to 30 minute a technician will take, but do able.
1jpaulhome  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:28:56 PM(UTC)
1jpaulhome

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions....I enjoy this type of work "tinkering" so I will give this a try.....again
Joe / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:15:27 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1jpaulhome Go to Quoted Post
Thanks so much for the detailed instructions....I enjoy this type of work "tinkering" so I will give this a try.....again

You're quite welcome, and good luck with the "tinkering".

For reference purposes I've attached a sight you can use if you need more information:

http://servicematters.com/docs/doc_main.htm

Select Maytag Heritage, insert the model number and you'll have most if not all the available information, as well as the service manual for your machine..
revndave  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:01:08 AM(UTC)
revndave

Squirt alittle WD-40 in the brake.Will stop squeek and continue to work for years to come.Been doing this fix for years with out any issues.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply