Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kaahurley  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:22:52 PM(UTC)
kaahurley

Groups: Registered

The belt on my washer has slipped off. I can see that there is some wear on one small spot. I put the belt back on and after turning it a few times the belt slips off again. It slips off toward the drum. Do I need to just replace the belt or could there be something else that is causing it to slip off. I did replace the wheel (called the Pulley I think) just last year. I have a large family (5 kids) and I REALLY NEED my washer.:eek:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:20:28 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This usually means you have bad tub bearings. Remove belt and check for lateral play in the pulley and shaft. Or you may have a bad pulley.
kaahurley  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:40:28 AM(UTC)
kaahurley

How do I find the bearings? Is that the "counter weights" ? There is a bit of play but not a lot. Did I get a lemon of a washer?
richappy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:31:20 PM(UTC)
richappy

There are a set of inner and outer ball bearings pressed into the tub that support the spin basket. Any lateral play=bad bearings.
Fortunately, the rear tub assembly is still relatively cheap, you might want to consider replacing it but it is a big job.
kaahurley  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 9:07:32 AM(UTC)
kaahurley

Thanks for all the help! After taking the pulley off and looking at the hole that the shaft goes through I see I have a problem! Now for the repair....Do you know where I could find detailed instructions to replace the tub? is it worth trying to fix it myself or would it be better to hire someone? How much longer should I count on this washer?
kaahurley  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 4:12:49 PM(UTC)
kaahurley

After all these problems...I am really considering getting a new washer. Can you recommend a good one. I need a washer that will last through about 5 loads a day. I have a large family and need a dependable washer!
libertyappl  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 5:39:06 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Short of getting a very expensive commercial washer, in my opinion you have one of the best washers out on the market.
Out of curiosity do you fill your washer completely full (almost craming) or do smaller loads?
richappy  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2008 2:41:45 AM(UTC)
richappy

You can crunch into Google (Duet job aid 8178076) and download it. A rather involved job you may not be able to do.
Also, check my article in the forum announcements section "Replacing Neptune bearings" gives an idea how involved this procedure is!!
kaahurley  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2008 4:44:36 AM(UTC)
kaahurley

Thanks for the added info on changing the bearings! I may come in handy!
My washer is always running. Depending on what it is I am washing depends on my load size. I am careful with not "Cramming it full" but my loads can get large. With 4 boys and 1 girl...we always have laundry. I like the front load but with everything I have read, there seem to be a lot of problems after about 4 years.
richappy  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2008 7:42:23 AM(UTC)
richappy

I tell my customers to avoid front loaders as they have serious problems after a few years, not worth the extra money.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply