Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wulleebullee  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 3:11:37 AM(UTC)
wulleebullee

Groups: Registered

I recently installed a transmission connecting rack. Reassembly was easy, but during use of washer, there is a tapping noise. I could live with this, but I don't want it to be something that could be detrimental. It seems to be coming from the brake area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 7:50:26 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: wulleebullee Go to Quoted Post
I recently installed a transmission connecting rack. Reassembly was easy, but during use of washer, there is a tapping noise. I could live with this, but I don't want it to be something that could be detrimental. It seems to be coming from the brake area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I could not find the model number you supplied in our reference library.
I am unclear as to what a "transmission connecting rack" is.

A slipping brake could cause a tapping noise similar to what you describe.

An easy check is : To raise the loading lid and carefully activate the lid switch with a pen,pencil,small screwdriver, and observe the tub while it is washing. if tub is moving in any direction,fast or slow, that would indicate a slipping brake and would need to either be adjusted or repaired.
( if your unit is a direct drive(no belt) there is no adjustment and you will need to replace the brake assembly kit).
wulleebullee  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 1:48:11 PM(UTC)
wulleebullee

I've had a little trouble on occasion, but it is recognized on the Sears site. The connecting rack or just 'rack' is part #8546456 which I bought from this site. It reverses the agitator. It was broken in two pieces. Everything worked fine, until it suddenly broke. It happened to be on the spin cycle. As for the brakes, they seemed to be working fine before the gear broke. There is a plastic piece with an ear pointed down into the brake band releasing the tension on the spring every time it reverses. It just didn't seem to have a wear point of contact. It doesn't appear to work any other way. Thanks. P.S. It is a 2004 model.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 2:11:16 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: wulleebullee Go to Quoted Post
I've had a little trouble on occasion, but it is recognized on the Sears site. The connecting rack or just 'rack' is part #8546456 which I bought from this site. It reverses the agitator. It was broken in two pieces. Everything worked fine, until it suddenly broke. It happened to be on the spin cycle. As for the brakes, they seemed to be working fine before the gear broke. There is a plastic piece with an ear pointed down into the brake band releasing the tension on the spring every time it reverses. It just didn't seem to have a wear point of contact. It doesn't appear to work any other way. Thanks. P.S. It is a 2004 model.

The plastic piece is called a spin pall, it actuates or spreads the brake shoes to lock on the brake housing to lock the tub shaft assembly.

If there is debri , if the pads are glazed or the springs are weak, you wont achieve the proper clearance, and wont lock the tub in place and you could get the ticking noise you described.

I believe you should check the pads and housing for wear, glazing,and debris. I would order the brake parts assembly kit just in case, first.
wulleebullee  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 3:52:06 PM(UTC)
wulleebullee

This pawl has a split in it. Does it fit on something or does it move alternately from one side of the brake tension spring to the other as it turns? Thanks.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 3:46:03 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This plastic pawl releases the clutch temporarily till the basket comes up to speed, the metal cam above it releases the brakes. If the noise is during spin the brakes might be slipping, if during agitate, it could be the tranny or the agitator.
You can allways remove the pump and motor and turn the tranny coupler clockwise for spin, counterclockwise for agitate and check if you feal a "rough " spot. If you feal somethinf in spin, you have a chipped nylon gear in the trany.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply