Discuss

washer smoke and smells like burnt

in

Washer Repair

. "

After replacing coupling due to not spinning, washer runs for and or spins for 30 seconds, thens stops for half

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » washer smoke and smells like burnt

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 01:50 PM

alvaroenrique is on a distinguished road
Default washer smoke and smells like burnt
Brand: Whirlpool   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

After replacing coupling due to not spinning, washer runs for and or spins for 30 seconds, thens stops for half an hour. The process repeats until the end of the whole wash, which may take about 6 hours. Additionally, the first time it started after replacing the coupling, there was a smell of either the motor or something burning and some smoke. When it spins it sounds fine.
I thought about replacing the whole thing, but it is only 5 years old. Anybody can help?
odel # is Whirlpool LXR7244PT0.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 07-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

Sounds like the motor is overloading. Very likely the new coupling is not aligned properly, causing an extra tension for the motor.

Remove the washer cabinet and double check the coupling installation.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL LXR7244PT0 Automatic Washer | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 08-26-2010, 01:13 PM

amoo123 is on a distinguished road
Default Same issue

I am having the same problem. I just replaced my coupling on my 12 year old Whirlpool gold series, and I am experienceing the rubber smell. I would like to know if this is common. Everything works just fine. I don;t know how it could be an alignment problem. Any information would be great.

quote=alvaroenrique;237409]After replacing coupling due to not spinning, washer runs for and or spins for 30 seconds, thens stops for half an hour. The process repeats until the end of the whole wash, which may take about 6 hours. Additionally, the first time it started after replacing the coupling, there was a smell of either the motor or something burning and some smoke. When it spins it sounds fine.
I thought about replacing the whole thing, but it is only 5 years old. Anybody can help?
odel # is Whirlpool LXR7244PT0.[/quote]
Old 08-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoo123 View Post
...I don;t know how it could be an alignment problem...
The two plastic motor couplings should be pushed: one on the motor shaft and the second one on the gear case shaft all the way, so the end of each shaft is lining up with the inner edge of the center coupling hole.

The holes in the new rubber isolation coupling should be lined up with the studs in both plastic couplings.

After the drive motor with the new coupling installed you should be able to turn the drive motor shaft in both directions manually.

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.