Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pokey302  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 4:36:57 AM(UTC)
pokey302

Groups: Registered

Hello all, I have the non-stop filling problem. I did the test from this site to see if its the inlet valve or the water level switch. I could never get the inlet valve to stick during the test so it must be the level switch correct? Well my problem doesn't happen all the time which makes me still think its the valve. Also when the machine is overflowing, i cant shut the switch off to make it stop, i have to shut the water off at the wall which also makes me think its the valve. Should i order both parts to be safe (which i would rather not to save $)? Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 4:51:06 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]Also when the machine is overflowing, i cant shut the switch off to make it stop, i have to shut the water off at the wall which also makes me think its the valve.[/COLOR]
I agree with you. I am assuming you turn the timer to off.
Shutting the unit off should kill power to the valve and it should close. A better check would be to unplug the unit, this eliminates anything weird that may be going on.

[COLOR="Blue"]Should i order both parts to be safe (which i would rather not to save $)? Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated![/COLOR]
Ordering both would be safer but personally I would just replace the water
valve.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
pokey302  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:15:31 AM(UTC)
pokey302

I forgot to add this tidbit of info: During the test, when i couldn't get the valve to stick, the water filled beyond where it was supposed to stop (it basically filled to the rim) but i was able to stop the filling by shutting it off. So THAT makes me think its the level switch that is bad. I have both symptoms.
denman  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:27:59 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]During the test, when i couldn't get the valve to stick, the water filled beyond where it was supposed to stop (it basically filled to the rim) but i was able to stop the filling by shutting it off. So THAT makes me think its the level switch that is bad. I have both symptoms[/COLOR]
Very strange, usually it is one or the other.
In this case I would replace both as it is intermittent and you cannot determine which device is the cause.
May also not be a bad idea to replace the tubing that goes from the level switch to the bottom of the tub, especially if it is brittle.
pokey302  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:31:32 AM(UTC)
pokey302

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Very strange, usually it is one or the other.
In this case I would replace both as it is intermittent and you cannot determine which device is the cause.
May also not be a bad idea to replace the tubing that goes from the level switch to the bottom of the tub, especially if it is brittle.

I have read about that hose online; going bad by drying out. Do you happen to know the name of the hose so i can look it up? If its not too $ i may as well get all 3 just to save our laundry room from yet another flood.

Is it this one? Part Details - GE Pressure switch hose, part number: AP2046584
denman  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 6:20:48 AM(UTC)
denman

Yes
That looks like the correct number.
pokey302  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:55:52 PM(UTC)
pokey302

Parts are on order. Will post back with results! Thanks for the help Denman.
denman  
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2010 2:54:31 AM(UTC)
denman

I will keep my fingers crossed.

Intermittent problems are a tech,s nightmare!!!
pokey302  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:40:22 PM(UTC)
pokey302

Got my parts in today. Switch and valve went in easy. Hose...im stuck. How do i get to the bottom of the hose? Do i have to take the shell off the washer? If so, got any basic steps besides just unscrew every screw i can find and start pulling?

Never mind, i got it. I was trying to lift the top instead of accessing the front. Now for some laundry!
pokey302  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:29:58 PM(UTC)
pokey302

Replaced all three. Hose was clogged about 3" worth at the base of it where it attaches to the tub. It had a 1/16" diameter hole the water had to travel through. I just did a test on a small load it it just kept filling and filling. Shutting it off stopped the flow.

My next thought was the little box that the hose is connected to. Looking at my pics you can see its pretty dirty. Using some southern engineering i was able to clean it out and now the washing machine stops filling and starts washing. Not sure if was JUST the hose being clogged or perhaps a little bit of everything but its working now. Thanks for the help!

Here are some pictures:
Washing_Machine pictures by P_Y_ - Photobucket

In case anyone wonders how i cleaned out the box: I took an old 1-gallon pump sprayer, rinsed it out, unscrewed the spray nozzle on the end so its just a full uninterrupted flow. Then I took the old hose, cut off the 3" of clogged part and duct taped + electrical taped it to the end of my sprayer. Filled sprayer, pumped it, and forced water into the little box front he top. Pumping the spray at times and full blast at other times trying to break it up. Emptied the full gallon in there.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply