Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
woodyak  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2008 7:59:10 PM(UTC)
woodyak

Groups: Registered

I have a front loader that won't drain. It's happened before and I usually take the pump out and find something clogging it. This happened 3 days ago and I removed some plastic bits in the pump and put it back to together and it still won't drain. I removed the pump again and nothing was blocking it. While the pump was disconnected from the hoses I ran the washer to test the pump and it is spinning. I went ahead and connected the host to the tub and ran it and it was indeed pumping out water but it almost seemed like it wasn't strong enough. When I hook it all together I do hear water dripping through the drain pipe but it sounds like a trickle when it should be gushing water.

My drain pipe runs up the wall and is almost 6' at peak height. This is something my plumber setup and it has been working for almost 4 years. I haven't taken all the hoses apart because everything seems to drain when the pump is disconnected. Is it possible my pump is running at 1/2 power? It does make some funny noises now?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 1:41:29 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would take the pump apart and check for a bad impeller.
woodyak  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 6:19:47 AM(UTC)
woodyak

Can you replace just the impeller?

btw,
I disconnected the drain pipe where it connects into sewer and ran it into a bucket and ran it. The system drained normally into the bucket which is much lower. It does appear that the pump is no longer strong enough to push the water that high. Does this make sense? Can motors lose power like this? I don't want to spend lots of $ and time trying to fix this and then end up buying a new one anyway.

Also,
I took off the front door seal to see if I could find any clogs. Is there any trick to getting that thing back on? I was wrestling with it for an hour this a.m. and I couldn't make any headway.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:08:04 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Need your model # to help.
woodyak  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:37:06 AM(UTC)
woodyak

The model# is 417.42042100 and it's a Kenmore stackable front loader.

btw,
I went ahead and ordered the pump so we will see if that solves the problem on Wednesday.

Now by big problem is I can't pull that metal bungee thing over the door gasket. I figured out how to get the gasket connected but that bungee thing is so tight that it just pulls out everytime I try to wrap it around. Is there any trick to that? Any tools I could use to hold that bungee in place while I stretch it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
woodyak  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:21:44 AM(UTC)
woodyak

Update***

I swapped out the pump and it is draining better but it's not quite there. I'm having to run the spin cycle 2x to get it working. I think the hose needed a better angle so I've adjust the hose. If that doesn't work I may cut some hose length out for a more direct run.

I still haven't been able to get that bungee on the seal so it is leaking. I'll have to get that figured out as well.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply